Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank orange frames inserted after cuts

Default Blank orange frames inserted after cuts

I am trying to fix part of a video that's out-of-sync using Premiere Pro CS3. It took me a long time to figure out where in the process this is occurring but now I know. As soon as I use the razor tool and cut the video track - I haven't moved anything yet - random blank orange frames appear throughout the entire video. Any ideas how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated.

What format is the source video? Sounds like you are working with a format other than DV-AVI. I have seen similar problems with mpeg, XVid and DivX, none of which Premiere likes very much. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

The original source video is from DVD (VOB etc.) files which I converted to MPEG and then to AVI. Is there any way to convert directly to a format that Premiere can import? Problem with other conversion methods is that the sound track is converted to AC3 which Premiere doesn't understand either.

Premiere Elements will import directly from DVD, Premiere Pro will not. You can try MpegStreamclip, free program, it will convert VOB to DV-AVI. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Blog Entries

There are many and various tools designed to convert and / or rip DVDs. Check - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists for a definitive resource. As chuck suggests, Premiere was designed to work with formats such as DV and HDV rather than just any old video. If you want to edit in premiere, it's best to convert to DV first and import these.

Thanks I'll try MpegStreamclip. I've downloaded more free conversion tools from than I can count! Are you suggesting that Elements would be better suited for this purpose than Pro?

Western Europe

For MPEGStreamClip to work you will need to download QuickTimeAlt 181 first as it has all the codecs inside it that lets you use MPEGStreamClip. import the vob files into the app and go to File->Export to AVI and in the Compression dropdown select Apple DV PAL. You will also need to alter the other setting like frame size, fps and audio bit rate. When done click on the Make AVI button down in the bottom right corner.

MpegStreamclip is pretty easy, as you already have instructions in the Nikosony post above, and it is free, can't beat that. If you want to spend the $$ you can get Premiere Elements to import the VOB files, sometimes have to reverse the field dominance on the clips, then export to DV-AVI, also pretty easy but not free.

Even though Premiere Elements imports DVDs pretty well many of the users still use Super and MpegStreamclip to do the conversions, not sure why exactly. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

I've tried twice to convert the DVD with MPEGStreamclip and both times the program crashed half way through

There must be a problem with the files or the DVD, where did the DVD come from?
    MpegSteamclip will handle pretty much anything you throw at it.

There is another program, VideoRedo, that might work but that one isn't free.
    You can give the demo a try and see if that will handle it. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast