Thread: Playback speed (rate?) in Vegas...

Default Playback speed (rate?) in Vegas...

Hello all

I'm a total noob at this, I've done some work in WMM, and it got me interested in editing, so bare with me if my questions are a bit.... "noobish".

I have just started to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (Platinum) and I have one question:

I would like to playback at a high speed, like 60x or even more, is that not possible in Vegas MS 9? To describe what i mean with speed: in Vegas the term "Playback rate" is used, I do not know if this is what I'm looking for, 'cause when I increase it to 4 (maximum) I cannot see any difference in the preview window. The movie I have recorded is just out through the window at som clouds for 19 minutes. Now I want it to look like the cloudes are passing by at a tremendous velocity.

How do I do that? I know about the Ctrl+LMB-drag, but I can only get it to 4x (in this case, the clip is compressed to 1/4 of its original size). Do I really have to speed up 4x, render, import, speed up 4x, render, import... you understand?

Please advise...
    Last edited by The Duck; 01-06-2009 at 01:37 PM.

I believe in the Vegas Movie Studio versions (as opposed to the Vegas Pro versions) the max you can speed up an event is 4x. I am not 100% sure, but I figured since no one replied yet I would share what I know as to not get your hopes up while waiting for a more concise answer...

Blog Entries

F#Sonata is correct VMS allows you to stretch events by +/- 4 x. With Pro you also get velocitry envelopes which allow you to stretch by a further 3x (thus giving you 12 x in total in one pass).

You are correct in that the way to speed up more is to keep rendering. But this isn't as bad as it seems:
    1 pass = 4 x.
    2 passes = 16 x.
    3 passes = 64 x.

As an alternative, you could simply delete 59 out of 60 frames which might be a bit tedious
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    F#Sonata is correct VMS allows you to stretch events by +/- 4 x. With Pro you also get velocitry envelopes which allow you to stretch by a further 3x (thus giving you 12 x in total in one pass).

You are correct in that the way to speed up more is to keep rendering. But this isn't as bad as it seems:
    1 pass = 4 x.
    2 passes = 16 x.
    3 passes = 64 x.

As an alternative, you could simply delete 59 out of 60 frames which might be a bit tedious
    Thank you for your response. Interesting, you buy a new software and it takes 5 minutes to explore a "flaw". Anyway, looked through the tutorials on Sony's website yesterday, and besides the velocity issue it seems like a powerful tool for a beginner like myself. Not always intuitive, but powerful. Let's hope it takes a while before I wanna upgrade, I don't want to spend the money on Pro, at least not now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    Do I really have to speed up 4x, render, import, speed up 4x, render, import... you understand?
    Yes.

But here's the thing: Each render becomes faster to do. Why? Beacuse it is shorter.

Blog Entries

Perhaps devilishly I would add that if a bit of rendering time irritates you - best find another hobby or build a huge beowulf cluster.

As your ambitions and skills increase things can only get worse - it was a way back on a slower PC but how does 8 hours rendering for one minute of output grab you ?