Thread: Vegas 8.0 and 8.1 Rendering Speed 32/64bit

1. Default Vegas 8.0 and 8.1 Rendering Speed 32/64bit (Pro 9.0 64bit Update 11/10/09)

Hi all,

Alright I just have a few questions. I have the trial of Pro 8.0 and in Options/Preferences/Video Tab, I see under Dynamic Ram the Max available is 1024MB. Also the Maximum number of rendering threads is 4.

I have the Intel i7 920 processor (16 Cores) and 6GB of Ram. And am considering getting Vegas Pro 8.0 to upgrade to 8.1 for a Vista 64bit environment and later Windows 7.

So does Vegas Pro 8.1 offer a higher Dynamic Ram setting to take advantage of the available ram I have?

Does Vegas Pro 8.1 have a higher number of rendering threads to take advantage of this processor?

If the answer is yes to these, what are the max settings in 8.1?

Does anyone out there know of any comparison rendering in a 32bit environment vs. a 64 using the same hardware and video file?

Any info on a Vegas Pro 9.0 that may relate improvements for 64bit, RAM & CPU utilization?

Thanks, shaybshay.
    Last edited by shaybshay; 11-10-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaybshay View Post
    Hi all,

Alright I just have a few questions. I have the trial of Pro 8.0 and in Options/Preferences/Video Tab, I see under Dynamic Ram the Max available is 1024MB. Also the Maximum number of rendering threads is 4.

I have the Intel i7 920 processor (16 Cores) and 6GB of Ram. And am considering getting Vegas Pro 8.0 to upgrade to 8.1 for a Vista 64bit environment and later Windows 7.

So does Vegas Pro 8.1 offer a higher Dynamic Ram setting to take advantage of the available ram I have?

Does Vegas Pro 8.1 have a higher number of rendering threads to take advantage of this processor?

If the answer is yes to these, what are the max settings in 8.1?

Does anyone out there know of any comparison rendering in a 32bit environment vs. a 64 using the same hardware and video file?

Any info on a Vegas Pro 9.0 that may relate improvements for 64bit, RAM & CPU utilization?

Thanks, shaybshay.
    All I can tell you is that Vegas Pro 8.1 will only run with a 64 bit OS installed on your computer. It will not run on a 32 bit Windows system. Vegas Pro 8.1 can manage multi-core rendering threads and allows for over 4gig of RAM use, while 8.0 does not. As for the other specifics you are asking, I have no idea. I hope this is helpful.

3. Default

Thanks worddigger. Looking around a bit more I see that GPU rendering seems to be the way to go. So my only question now is does Pro 8.1 utilize gpu rendering like Premiere CS4 RapidHD plug in? Which seems to be just sick at rendering times. Like this guy shows here;

Of course he is using a video card that costs about $1800 but even the $150 card (Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT) I'm using has this Cuda technology in it. All I need now is the software to take advantage of it.

I know that Cyberlink PowerDirector 7 takes advantage of CUDA technology, which is why I ended up with Movie Studio instead of PowerDirector--since my video card does NOT have CUDA and I didn't want to buy a new video card to accommodate new software, so I couldn't use PowerDirector 7.

That being said, I don't know enough about PowerDirector to be able to tell you if it utilizes 64-bit processing and its advantages (all of your RAM and multi-thread processing power).

On a side note, your i7 has 8 processing threads, not 16. Intel i7 processors are still only quad core, but with hyper-threading, making them appear to have 8, not 16, threads. Just make sure you config your software to take advantage of it, if possible.
    Last edited by SonataInFSharp; 01-06-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Vegas does not use GPU render, it will use all the power you can throw at it from your processors

6. Default Vegas Pro 9.0 and Studio 9.0 Render Time

Well here I am back ten months later. I just downloaded trials for Vegas Pro 9.0 64bit and Vegas Studio and did a one minute video render test and as it turns out there was no difference.

Last edited by shaybshay; 11-10-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Interesting test.
    Whether this will make any difference or not I don't know but you HAVE misunderstood something. Setting the "Dynamic RAM Preview" max memory, sets aside that RAM for use when building a Dynamiic RAM Preview (Shift-B). It is used to store "prerenders" in RAM so you can do a quick render of a short but complex composite for checking timing/quality in the preview window.

So, it has absolutely no effect on rendering.

Indeed it MAY even have a detrimental effect - it MAY mean that you are PREVENTING Vegas from using that memory when rendering (though I have to say looking at the memory usage, it doesn't appear so).

Any chance you can set that to a very low figure (eg 128MB ) and try again. I, for one would be interested.
    Tim

8. Default

To TimStannard

Ahhh, very good, thank you for that correction. I will make an annotation of it on the video and do a new test and video with the 128MB setting today.

Ok here is the new test using 128MB.

Last edited by shaybshay; 11-10-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, thanks for trying. I did say it may have no effect whatsoever. When I saw the length of your YT clip I feared it was going to take even LONGER, thus disproving my theory that Dynamic RAM Preview has nothing to do with it.

Sorry I can't help practically, but I'm a little way off ordering the parts for my new system on which I intend to install W7/64bit.

Then again, I'm trying to think this through. Both Movie Studio (32bit) and VP (64bit) are dealing with the same files. The following is notjhing by a hypothesis and guesswork.

I may be way out here but as I understand it your source is 1920 x 1080 x 12. I believe the 12 means 12 bit colour depth - so lets say that's 12 bits each for R,G,B and Alpha = 48 bits or 6 bytes.

So ONE frame on yyour timeline 1920 x 1080 x 6 = 12.4MB

I believe that with AVCHD it actually requires up to 15 frames to construct a complete image as only one frame per 15 is an "I" frame or complete image. So let's assume Vegas to work with 15 completely uncompressed frames at a time.

12.4 x 15 = 186MB

So let's assume we need a similar amount of data for the rendered file.

We're not at half a gigabyte yet.

I certainly don't begin to know how memory is allocated when rendering, but it seems to me that it is unlikely Vegas can make use of the extra RAM available under 64 bit for this particular operation.(Sure it'may USE it to pre fetch the next frames from the hard drive, but it can't actually act on it whilst it's processing the frames currently being rendered. (A bit like putting extra petrol in your car doesn't give it the capacityu to go any faster - the engine cannot process the petrol in the carb/injection system any faster)

If my hypothesis is correct, I would expect you WOULD see a difference in the two programs in rendering if your timeline contained multiple tracks from multiple sources (eg a "video wall")
    Tim