Thread: Hell that no fury like AVCHD

Blog Entries

Default Hell that no fury like AVCHD

I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures. When viditing for fun, I'm a humble point and shooter. I rarely have the time (and more often the option) to fiddle with manual settings on a consumer camera. On a video editing forum, that's probably considered as heresy. And it can be a pain to fix, but I'm out to have fun. And having fun isn't spending time fiddling with settings when I could be filming.

I love filming and I love to edit. It's a marriage made in heaven. Based on this continuing love affair, I recently bought a new point and shooter based on several rave reviews. I figured it was time to embrace the HD revolution, to enjoy my own videos in 'FULL HD' glory. At least that's what all the adverts tell me, and who am I to argue?

At first I was in love. The sleek, streamlined lines of the Panasonic mould perfectly to my cupped hands. Hell, it even fits my jacket pocket. And mo more tapes! That means less time sitting watch the video capture and more time editing. It's a marriage made in heaven, with a live in lover. That was until I started to edit on my laptop.

Alas, there's no support for AVCHD in Premiere Pro CS3 (my not so cheap editor of choice). So rather than spend more money on one that can edit AVCHD, I transcoded to P2 DVCPRO. It brought back memories of capturing DV. And when (eventually) all the clips were converted, I'd used up several times the space. The good news was that I could edit in Premiere Pro, but the edit just wan't the same as trusty DV.

After two days of toiling, I stumped up for an upgrade to Premiere Pro CS4. It claims AVCHD editing. I jumped in. I was dissapointed. My humble laptop just isn't up to the job, and I felt cheated.

So now I'm faced with two options. Either spend yet more money on a plugin, or downconvrt to SD first. My wallet can't stomach the first, so it's back to DV editing for me. But hey, I still have the memories of what could have been.

Blog Entries

I suspect that is a common expirience.

AVCHD must be putting off potential film makers from the off - and it annoys me that mooks in shops are telling people it is better than hdv - AVCHD should be DUMPED.

As for auto shooting - I admit to doing the same - big cam is all manual to get the best picture - my small cam is always full auto, so I get the picture as opposed to faffing.

Point and shoot with focus huntin and exposure wndering is cool if it means you capture the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I suspect that is a common expirience.
    AVCHD must be putting off potential film makers from the off - and it annoys me that mooks in shops are telling people it is better than hdv - AVCHD should be DUMPED.
    You bet it is a common experience. I bought my wife a Canon "HD" camera (about $1,000 bucks), thinking that I got her something great to replace her broken SD camcorder. Boy were we disappointed. Ran into the same problems with editing; my laptop could not handle it. Upgraded to a DreamStation with processing power out the wazooo....and the stuff is still sticky to work with.

AVCHD should not only be dumped, but the business gurus promoting it should go bankrupt. Actually, I think there should be a special place in digital hell for the people who thought it up.

Blog Entries

Far from going 'forward', I still love filming on my old Hi8 camera. Donkeys years old, batteries only last 45mins, 4.3 only, fully manual, superb DOF and a pain to lug about. But - I have none of the woes you write of.... Oh, and I drive a Rover 75.

Blog Entries

Those analogue formats were somehow much nicer.
    Like a LP is nicer than a CD.

Blog Entries

I really would love for ACVHD to work for me, and I'm a happy adopter of new formats. But I'm simply not prepared to lavish yet more money on video editing. What's frustrating is that there's no kind of warning to suggest that the format might be difficult to edit (at least not at the point of sale).

Do enough people care though? Is video editing the preserve of the few? Are we a minority that actually edit the video we shot, whilst the rest of the camera brigade are happy to merely play back? I'd like to think not, but the evidence suggests so.

Blog Entries

Marc - tis worse than that - most people buy them cos of the hype and the dream of home movies - all along they are told it is easy - the result is that the first time it is hard the camera gets forgotten in the back of a cupboard.

I had to laugh / cry / kill randomly when i saw a recent poster claim that avchd was better than hdv cos it was newer - do some people really think that the market is that kind ?

Anyway in a the spirit of back to the futureness - check out these pics grabbed from SD DV video, each one is a massive 0.4 mega pixel, but each pixel has been hand crafted by me. I should add it was a bottom end of professional SD DV.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-07-2009 at 11:23 PM.