Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new editing workstation on the cheap

Talking new editing workstation on the cheap

i got some surplus hardware from work - a motherboard w 4 SATA ports and on on-board raid controller, some kind of dual core cpu (not sure what kind or how fast yet, i suspect its in the 2GHz ballpark), 2GB of ddr ram and a pair of 75GB Raptor 10k rpm SATA drives.

i figure with another $250 i can get a case, dvd+r drive, a 250GB SATA OS/raid backup drive and a firewire card and i should have a decent rig for editing standard def DV footage.

i'm going to setup the raptors in a raid-0 array for fast i/o. my XP system temp directory and my capture/project directories will be on the array and then i'll use rsync to do asynchronous mirrors to a backup directory on the 250GB disk in case i lose either of the raptors.

once blu ray drives and media comes down i'll probably add one of those for offline backups.

yay!!!

-sasha

Blog Entries

Sounds peachy lovely.

But - raptors in a fast raid - no point - AnandTech: Western Digital's Raptors in RAID-0: Are two drives better than one? And dont forget raid 0 is twice as likely to fail as a basic drive connection.

If I were you I would raid 1 the raptors for safety.

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That article is a joke, totally unscientific, his testing methods don't isolate cpu-bound tasks from i/o-bound tasks and his graphs don't even indicate what units he's measuring, probably because there is no unit for subjective user perception.

I'll run some i/o tests using real testing tools once I get it built, but there's no way a single disk will come close to matching read and write throughput compared to a raid-0, all other things being equal.

Now, it's possible my video editing tasks are all heavily cpu-bound, in which case I won't get much benefit from faster i/o for those tasks, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Btw, I've been building raid arrays since 1998 =)

-sasha
    Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP

Correction, the units aren't "subjective user perception" points but after reading the sysmark whitepaper,
    (http://www.bapco.com/techdocs/SYSmark2004WhitePaper.pdf) I still put a lot more faith in a real i/o test vs. a general system performance test that brings in a ton of other factors.
    Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP

Blog Entries

Lols - I bow grovel and scrape at your clearly superiour insight - but that web site is generally well regarded for it's tests. Gotta say I tht sysmark and all that stuff was prety much the d's bees too.

As you say editing is more cpu than io - a dv or hdv data stream is only 3.5 MBtye / sec and my raptor on suse b arks at about 60, my slowest drive at 45.

Incidentally it seens to be seek times that b mark much better on the raptor rahter than transfer rates - but my m board is very early sata - if that matters . My raptor is also one of the first 37 gig models - five years old easy - hmmmm - may be time to replace methinks.

yeah i'm a total newb when it comes to video, all my raid experience is with web and db stuff. i'm sure you're right, raid-0 is probably a total waste for dv editing. oh well, i'll still use the raptors but i'll probably end up putting them in a raid-1 like you suggest if raid-0 doesnt make my edits or exports any faster.

thanks!

Blog Entries

I would be very intersted in what you discover - it's time for a new pc here - when it rains money - lols.

Hi, guys. I'm new to the forum and found your thread at random. I hope you don't mind but I just wanted to give you an idea of what it's like to be at the opposite end of the tech spectrum - I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about here, and can't begin to imagine what a raptor, suse b arks and sata all mean!! You guys have the knowledge of the gods!! All in fun, Lindy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindy View Post
    Hi, guys. I'm new to the forum and found your thread at random. I hope you don't mind but I just wanted to give you an idea of what it's like to be at the opposite end of the tech spectrum - I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about here, and can't begin to imagine what a raptor, suse b arks and sata all mean!! You guys have the knowledge of the gods!! All in fun, Lindy.
    Google and wikipedia are great glossaries but since you mention it I shall explain the above gobbledegook.

Raptor - this is a tpye of hard drive made by Western Digital. They cost about 4 times more, but they are significantly faster than noraml and are often used in high perf servers and work well as the main drive on the pc where windows and programs are run from.

Suse b arks - That is a typo as well as techno babble. Suse is a suite of stuff that tests your pc and 'b ark' was meant to be ' b mark' as in bench mark as in test.

Sata - this is the way h drives are connected to the innerds of the PC and replaces the older and alledgedly slower ' IDE ' way of connecting.

Default From the non-techy

Thanks, Mark, for your explanation of some of the terms you used. I can only gape in admiration at how people understand and use the now vast range of techy stuff out there. I began to lose the plot about the time Bluetooth came in, so you have an idea of where I'm at!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast