Thread: 1st minidv camera, noob exposure question

Question 1st minidv camera, noob exposure question

i just bought my first minidv camera, a canon zr900. when i pan across an open doorway to a room with brighter light than the room the camera is in, the exposure level (gain?) will adjust and the apparent brightness of the walls of this room will change, i'm guessing so the overall average brightness will be within some level the camera considers acceptable.

is there any way to prevent that adjustment from happening, maybe to lock the gain or whatever, sort of like you do with white balance? it does this both in "easy" mode and "program" mode.

i've read the user guide, but there are surprisingly few manual controls on this camera:
    Consumer Camcorders - High Definition Camcorders - DVD Camcorders - Single Chip CCD Digital Camcorders - Digital Camcorder - ZR900 - Canon USA Consumer Products

what is the correct terminology to describe the automatic adjustment my camera is making here?

thanks!

-sasha

Talking Nevermind!

I swear I read the user guide earlier, I must have been falling asleep when I read the manual exposure section.

Figured it out, I feel better now. I was starting to think my new camera was a complete toy. Well, maybe it is compared to the professional cameras some of y'all use, but I'm still way on the noob side of learning, so I'm sure it will be a while before I grow out of this camera.

Thanks!

-sasha

Some people never get past using their camcorder in fully automatic mode. So you've started early in working out how to control your camera. Well done on taking your first steps.
    The camera in auto will try and get the right amount general light levels to hit the tape. Sometimes using a manual setting, where you can see the detail you want people to see, will give a better resulting picture.

Blog Entries

Manual exposure is often fiddly to use on small cameras but does give better results - almost impossible to adjust on the fly on most cameras.

I rarely use my point and shoot small camera in anythnig but full auto because it is too fiddly. The one thing I do use in manual occasionally is the exposure.

As for ' us pros ' - most users of this forum are keen auteurs, not pros. I have a pro camera but only do a few paid jobs a year.

As an estimate it's 80: 20 auteur / pro fullish time.

You are amongst peers / friends

This is why this is the best film forum on the net - some of the other dv forums appear to be full of egotistical show off weirdos who would rather talk about the technical minutiae of thier peni er camera rather than craft clver films.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    You are amongst peers / friends

This is why this is the best film forum on the net - some of the other dv forums appear to be full of egotistical show off weirdos who would rather talk about the technical minutiae of thier peni er camera rather than craft clver films.
    Ha ha. I feel at home already after hearing that.

Blog Entries

Lols - I am an egotistical show off and I was made to feel very welcome years ago - they even gave me the keys to the site - but I think that was to shut me up - didnt work tho....

BTW love the avatar.