Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: External monitoring problem

Default External monitoring problem

When pre-viewing from the Vegas 8 timeline to an external monitor (hooked up via firewire through a Sony DSR-25 deck) I keep getting a complete video signal dropout on the monitor that lasts about 6 seconds, then the video returns to normal. It does this about every 45 seconds of playback. The preview window within Vegas does not do this. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks.

Are you previewing a piece of EDITED media?

Yes, the clips are an edited sequence.

Start a NEW project and place on the timeline a completely fresh and UNEDITED piece. Say, something over 60 seconds.

What results do you get when viewed to external monitor?

Just tried that, and still having the same problem. I have also put a new firewire cable inline to no avail. When playing from the dv deck to the monitor there are no dropouts, so it has to be an output signal issue coming from Vegas.

Do you have your Vegas Preview at the same time?

Have you setup your External Preview for your output?

Do you have a VidCap session open?

Have you a tape in the tape deck?

Do you need to make settings for pass-through to the Monitor?

When have you had this working?

Do you have your External Monitor selected within Trimmer?

Do you have your Vegas Preview at the same time?

I have tried it with it on and off, no difference.

Have you setup your External Preview for your output?

Yes, it is set to OHCI compliant IEEE 1394/DV.

Do you have a VidCap session open?

No.

Have you a tape in the tape deck?

No.

Do you need to make settings for pass-through to the Monitor?

No. The signal goes directly into the dv deck (via firewire) and out to the monitor.

When have you had this working?

Never had this problem with Vegas before. Been using it professionally for a few years now. Just setup this new computer at home with Vegas yesterday.
    The computer specs are fine. Intel Core 2 quad processors, 8GB RAM,
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS 512mb graphics card.

Do you have your External Monitor selected within Trimmer?

I have tried with it selected both on and off.

Need to rule out your Deck. And yes I realise that it has been working prior. So, try using a "camera" as Pass-Thru'?

I am still not convinced this is Vegas issue. You have a newly acquired pc. There could very well be something not playing ball in that.

Bottom line here is that until such time you can NOT test-out the negatives you still have a false positive. You have been down most of the routes, barring your actual PC.

You may have something fighting for its 1394 attentions, like a Virus scanner patrolling your ports; a link to the INTERNET; a fan that kicks in; a faulty or intermittent f/w socket on either your DECK or the "new" pc?

Again, you HAVE had this working from Vegas prior. There would have to be something quite exotic for it to fail on a new release of Vegas. However, a reinstall of Vegas might just kick out any previously screwed-up installation function functionality.

Just to be sure, is this exactly the same PC s/w configuration as before? That is is it say XP Pro for XP Pro? Are you going from 32 to 64 bit? Have you gone from XP to Vista? What other variations can you think of?

Of course there is something far simpler than this: maybe your monitor is failing? Try lashing this up to "another" monitor too. But you say Deck to monitor is fine - yes?

These 1394>Analogue setups, when they go wrong, offer many opportunities for it to go "icky". It is quite amazing that they work at all - that's been my experience. So, the first route to success has always been for all the links in the chain to operate as best as they can.

I'd be looking to isolate-out your deck - as the main contender for pass-thru' issues and re-checking any print-to-tape success, PLUS ensuring your PC is setup is good to goo without any 1394 driver issues. Maybe you do have a wayward 1394 driver?

Again, VEgas, apart from a dodgy installation where the 1394 ports/drivers aren't playing ball, should be a tried and tested part of this equation. PLUS you've had Vegas working prior to this. What version and build of VEgas are you using? And what version of Vegas and build were you using before?

Here's a thought! Is it at all possible for you to test on your previous PC?

This is nasty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast