Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereo or Mono

Default Stereo or Mono

Hi,

It may seem a simple question but shall I go for the RODE Stereo or Mono Video Mic. I make films and accasionally film events such as weddings.

I would want to go for Stereo because I like the idea of hearing things back on video as I would being there, although inside, stereo has that kind of horrible tinny, echo effect of a built in camera mic, I suppose this can be fixed? I think its the sound bouncing of the walls

Mono would reduce the echo, tinny effect because its more directional focusing on the voice although it wont sound the best because I'll have the same coming through left and rigth speakers, a little bit booring.

I have a wired clip on mic tie, im using a minidisc so only one mic can be used. I could use clip on mic tie (mono) for dialogue and for other things like action fighting sence, or the scence where everyone is dancing at a wedding use the Stereo? But then I would like to have my Stereo mic go round to tables at the wedding and ask them to give messages to the camera for example, would the stereo mic pic them up very good? It wont be as strong and depth as the mono would it?

Any suggestions would be great.

Blog Entries

Only record stereo if you know what you're doing. Give the choice between a cheap mono mic and a cheap stereo mic at the same price, go for the mono. In essence a stereo mic is just two mics in a single housing so, at the same price per unit, the stereo mics are only half as good as the mono.

Mind you. if you're going for the Rode, then the quality will be average at best. Spend a bit more money and go for something decent. Audio Technica and AKG are two good makes. The only Rode video mic worth buying (in my opinion)is the NTG3, which costs 500.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheCase View Post
    I could use clip on mic tie (mono) for dialogue and for other things like action fighting sence, or the scence where everyone is dancing at a wedding use the Stereo?
    Hopefully not all at the same wedding.

lol Marc, no I was talking about films and weddings not just the weddings

The Guru, since the RODE VideoMic, is at my budget and its a 3.5 jack nice for the minidisc and I dont have to start messing around with a preamp or anything it seems to fit me perfectly, and I always thought that the top brands for audio is Rode, Shure, Sennheiser but it seems like its only Sennheiser now

The demo's I have heard of the RODE VideoMic is not bad though, so my budget is 150 can you find anything better then the RODE for that amount of money.

When you said dont go for Stereo unless you know what youre doing I guess you mean I could mess it up as I am a novice, how can it go wrong?

Blog Entries

You will find lots of cheap chinese microphones within your budget, and they will all sound like sh*t. You get what you pay for. A few of the forum members have bought the Rode Videomic and all of them have regretted it. I've heard it and don't find it a 150 improvement on even the cheapest camcorder's in-built mic. If you want to buy it, fine but if you want a soundie to tell you that it's worth the money... you'll be disappointed.

Top Brands for shotgun/hypercardiod microphones for location use for video : Schoeps, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG and the Rode NTG3. This doesn't mean that all the microphones in the Rode range are bad, just that their video microphones aren't much good.
    Have a look at the different manufacturers' websites to see what you fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCase View Post
    When you said dont go for Stereo unless you know what youre doing I guess you mean I could mess it up as I am a novice, how can it go wrong?
    Exactly my point. You need to know what you're doing to record decent stereo on location. If you wave a stereo microphone around without having an idea of how to maintain a coherent stereo picture it will sound awful.

However, if you're determined to go down the stereo recording route the Pro-24 range from AT are far better than the Rode Videomic.

Since I am more worried about picking up dialogue I will go down Mono, and I dont know what im doing to go stereo. I suppose I could always add stereo car noises, or birds, etc in the background.

What about the MKE 300 VIDEO from Sennheiser, the 3.5mm will make it easy to use on the MiniDisc

Blog Entries

Dunno, I've never used it.

How about the Audio-Technica AT8035, or can you recommend a better mic in that price range you know about

Thanks

Blog Entries

Caveat - I am no soundie - experiential learning only.

DONT buy the cheap robd mic. Absolute Music Solutions: Rode VideoMic It's a piece of crap. I got one and never use it cos it is a FAIL.

People 'say' the senn is ok - but it is still a cheap plastic mic.

For paying jobs i wouldnt go for less than a http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/03284 or similar. Some AT mics at less money are often cited as good.

Good mics are at least as important as a good camera. Spend the same.

As for stereo - stay well away. Recording stereo is both a science and an art and voodoo. A stereo mic on a moving camera does not create a realistic psychoacoustic rendition of the soundstage that in any way recreates what an observor would expirience.

Record all in mono - get contextual sounds - create the ' stereo ' in post if you must but nearly everything I do is mono - except music clearly. No one cares or notices.

Stereo editing, not recording, is worth the fiddle for drama where you have much more control over the recording process and where the production values are expected to be higher.

Nearly double my budget, im only doing it as a hobby

Is this what you mean?
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/f..._campaign=base

Do I need a preamp, or battery powered
    Last edited by TheCase; 01-04-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast