Thread: brightness effect on Premier 6

Default brightness effect on Premier 6

Dark clip of about 10 seconds - I've highlighted the clip and dragged the 'brightness' to effects. I've increased brightness and contrast settings but only one frame is affected- and it doesn't stay there. Would be grateful if someone could advise me how to make the new settings stay and apply them to the whole clip - thanks - I haven't worked out what the triangles do next to the word 'brightness' - would this help? :(
    I am a beginner at using Premier - been struggling for 2 years (I\'m not too bright!) Would welcome help from anyone with patience. My present difficulty is applying brightness effect to a clip. My clever son helps sometimes but he lives a long way off.

Blog Entries

There's no real-time effects in ver 6. Have you rendered the timeline?

I tried to render and apply the brightness but failed. - no hair left! I'm travelling 70 miles with my computer tomorrow hoping my son can do better. I've got to master all this otherwise :arrow: :( I will have nothing to do all winter. I've got about 100 hours of peoples past weddings and my holidays to work on!

thanks for trying to help Marc. I'll let you know how I get on
    I am a beginner at using Premier - been struggling for 2 years (I\'m not too bright!) Would welcome help from anyone with patience. My present difficulty is applying brightness effect to a clip. My clever son helps sometimes but he lives a long way off.

Default Re: brightness effect on Premier 6

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    I haven't worked out what the triangles do next to the word 'brightness' - would this help? :(
    This might be a clue. The triangles next to the effect are keyframes. So you can change the ffect settings over time. If you have any visible then click on the littel clock face next to them to remove them all (assuming it works like it does in Premier Pro).

Jst a guess at this stage but you may have unwittingly applied a keyframe to the first frame and another effecting all the others. Try removing all keyframes, ensure the clockface is not visible and change the settigns then.

Took computer to son and he made light adjustment then rendered and that had the desired effect. However he found that my software includes some Pinnacle effects and the brightness can be changed with greater ease and in realtime. I've just got to remember how he did it. Anyway panic over for moment. Thanks to Marc and Millsy.

By the way is it normal for Premier to frequently 'hang' or 'crash'? I find one of the things that triggers this is when I drag the pointer (similar to slider display) immediatly under the picture monitor, to move back or forth in the programme. Any suggestions please? thanks

Blog Entries

The crashing could be any number of issues. What are your system specs. That's always a good start.

Hello Marc, my system is as follows - Mesh computer, 1.21 AMD Athlon GHZ, XP Home 2002, 384MB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400 graphics card and 2 hard disks - my video editing disc shows 95.8 gb as used with 23.9gb to spare and my general disc shows 55.8gb used and 28.3 to spare.

Does it need upgrading?

Blog Entries

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the minimum RAM specified for 6.0 was 512MB.

Also, make sure your HDDs are well defragged. You will be surprised what problems (in video editing) a good defrag solves.

On another note wrt Premiere hanging. Having the h/w myself I also read the Matrox forums. There's lots of whinging goling on over there and rather than discussing interesting points in video editing the forums often become a staging point for those few who have problems and want to slag off either Adobe or Matrox. One such problem that comes along often is Premiere (in all flavours - but mostly the latest) hanging when scrubbing the timeline.

The words used imply this happens (if at all) when working 'fast'. I guess you might want to see if the problem goes away by not performing fast scrub after fast scrub. Give the s/w time toi catch up and calm down a bit - so to speak.

Anecdotal evidence, though, implies this is a greater problem when running in conjunction with the Matrox h/w and that omnly those who consistently 'push the envelope' using Premiere to it's extremes tend to hit this issue.

You might want to hop over and see if symptoms discussed there match your own.

Yes Marc minimum is 512 recommended is of course a GIG. I suppose anyone who paid for thiers could check the box (tip of the hat to previous post discussions)

Roger: I highly recommend if you are going to upgrade anything get as close to a GIG of RAM as possible. You could of course make a ton of other improvements to your system but the RAM will take you the farthest
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated