Thread: Premiere CS4 + AVCHD + Laptop = ?

Blog Entries

Default Premiere CS4 + AVCHD + Laptop = ?

Alas, my hopes have been dashed. I'd hoped I'd be able to venture into the brave new world of AVCHD with Premiere CS4, but my dreams are shattered. It's a pig to edit, glitches at encode and generally makes me a very angry little man.

Given a choice between getting a new laptop or converting before editing, I'm going to have to go with the latter. So frustrating. Anyway, here was the result of my New Years Eve AVCHD editing exploits:

Now premiere can't be blamed for my lack of artistic flare, but note the jumps / jitters before two of the transitions. It was also just a complete nightmare to scrub the timeline and encode the video. Never again. Will probably end up doing all that again after first converting to another format. Grr.
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 02-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Still looks good boss, a wee bit dark in some places and you would hardly notice the jumps. I would like to know what size of files did you end up with (raw footage) and are you talking hours or days to render the timeline?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    would like to know what size of files did you end up with (raw footage) and are you talking hours or days to render the timeline?
    Over twice as big and takes bloody ages to render (we're talking going to make a cup of tea, realising you have no milk, going to the shops, buying the milk, getting back, realising you've go no tea bags, throwing the keys on the floor looking at the PC and still seeing 1% complete before Premiere decides to crash). Timeline scrubs better if you convert to an intermediate HD codec, but then the files sizes bloat.

I've decided to downconvert to DV before editing until I can afford a new laptop. This was a DV version, which let me work with more effects for a given level of patience: