Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: safe long term archiving - dvdisaster

Default safe long term archiving - dvdisaster

i was doing some research on long term archive methods last night, read about the different ways cd-r and dvd+-r discs degrade over time. this morning i found what appears to be a pretty awesome error correction program - dvdisaster.

edit: here's the link -
    http://dvdisaster.net

also, a good article discussing archiving to optical media -
    http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/20...archival-media

it's free on sourceforge and it's designed to add ecc info to your optical archives, let you know when they're starting to fail and recover from errors so you can move to new media when the old media starts to fail.

i'm using it for the 1st time right now - i'll report back w more info as i get more experience w it.

-sasha
    Last edited by sasha; 01-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I have dvd-r that are seven years old and no probs yet.

Personally - I find srchiving to optical media a pain - 4.7 gig really isnt much good for much.

I archive to caddy hard drives - a terabyte is about 100 - thats 200 dvd r.

With the price of 1 and 2 terabyte external hard drives coming down all the time, I'm shifting all of my mini dv footage off tape and onto a 2 tb drive I just got before Christmas. It was either that or buy this... Sony DSR-V10P DVCAM Walkman at 699.

Blog Entries

I so want one of those little dv decks - gotta be cheap soon as everyone rushes into hdv.

It would be a great little gadget to have, all the control and connections and you can take it anywhere. It's just a pity some of the other companies over the past five years hadn't got their collective fingers out and made a cheap dv playback deck. Nothing too fancy, just play, rewind, ff and stop along with a dv out socket, that would have kept the dv format going for a while longer. I'm sure if you search around you might find one lower than 699.

Blog Entries

Well, I do look occasiobnally but no joy yet - it annoys me thay never got cheap - is only like a cam with bits missing really - shoulda been 200 quid....

Totally agree 100% lol.

Fcking SWEET! I just got the ok to expense a 120GB solid state drive for my laptop!!! that will give me a little breathing room at least and should also make my audio recordings quieter since I wont have the stupid hard drive grinding away.
    Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP

Blog Entries

You gonna archive to solid state drives? Impressive - lols.

10. Default

No it's going to be my main OS drive in my laptop.

I don't really trust external hard disks for offline storage, but since googling for articles to backup my position isn't turning up much, I guess I'm shootin from my gut. I *am* from TX after all...

Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast