Thread: Examples and Help for Making Footage Better

Default Examples and Help for Making Footage Better

I've posted a few examples from the feature film KERBEROS of using color correction and grading to improve shots.

Though shot with care on an EX1, nearly every shot from cell phone video to RED ONE can be improved with post production techniques.

Here are a few before and after examples pulled from the film and with a basic guide/tutorial on using desktop tools on your own footage.

Hope it helps!

Color Correction examples with tips and notes

CC and Image manipulation basics (maybe a bit more than basic! but still just the start)

Kely McClung

( some non apposite links removed - mw )

good luck to all!
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-02-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Very impressive work, but i cant help thinking that spot removal is best left to foundation and concealer - much easier that doing in post.

Maybe you wanna ease off all these multiple links a bit too??? Cynical types like me might suggest it looks a bit desperate to pepper every post so far with a billion links back to your web site.

Default thanks

Thanks and yeah, post is not my favorite way of touching up! Still, sometimes, in 90 degree heat and high humidity and... nice to be able to do it if the shot deserves it!

And thanks for advice about links. Was trying to make it easier to jump ahead if someone chose - but have always been undecided on what's reasonable - or viewed favorably by cynics!

k

Blog Entries

Lols - you made me laugh Mr Stickman - and normally I hate to smile.

Yay! Happy to oblige... and I'm not really known for comedy! Probably been making the wrong kind of movies!!

Of course I've been trying to tell people these are romantic comedies but people don't seem to see 'em that way...

Blog Entries

This whole grading malarky - bit of a mystery to me - I fiddle with curves and sats and bung on the odd colour wash but I suspect more subtle things are at play.

I suspect I know almost nothing - I would be curious to learn more and was expecting a bit more of a a b c with those cool roll over pics...

Default That color grading malarky!

M-

from my own point of view, it's pretty much what it is; and whether you call it grading or correction, when you are on a desktop it's pretty much the same thing. That said, there are an amazing amount of choices in manipulating the color and look with the power of modern software. With masks and transfer modes, one has a lot of power. Add in post glows and diffusion, rotoscoping, and the layers of compositing of duplicate layers as well as subtle use of additional footage, and the power of painting on a layer for touch ups, etc... and their is little excuse for footage to look bad. (though we know that is subjective)

And all that has to be guided by the motivation of the story or project, as well as the urge and the fight against the urge just to try to make something 'cool'. (power is scary thing )

So... smoke and mirrors - which is okay becuase that's what movies are anyway.

I'll try to post more, and have had others request a walk through from start to finish on a single scene and what personally motivated my own choices and approach. Glad people seem to think I have something worth saying. Could be interesting or maybe really really boring... but I'll post it up whenever I get it done...

resepcts

kely