Thread: DV tape not working

Default DV tape not working

Hi,

I'm having problems with a DV tape that I've been sent - I'm trying to play it on my Canon MVX10i. The picture plays OK but there is no audio - and on the camera display it flashes "stereo1" and "16bit". When I try to capture the tape onto the PC, the audio is broken up. I don't have problems with any other tapes.

Any suggestions/solutions please - thanks.

Blog Entries

Apologies for stating the obvious, but your best course of action would be to use the camcorder used to record the footage. It would seem that your camera doesn't support the audio compression used.

I would love to use the original camera - the only trouble being that it belongs to someone else - in another country.

I thought that DV was a common format - and it might be an issue to do with SP/LP???

Blog Entries

DV is a common format but issues across cameras do occur, and yes, the sp/ lp mistake does occur occasionally on the forum - but I dont recall exactly the symptoms you describe.

Apologies for stating the obvious (part 2), but can you try and change the audio settings on your camcorder, I'm not familiar with it and see if it makes that message go away. It seems the audio on the tape you have was recorded with a different setting to the one you are currently using on your own camcorder and it is kicking up a bit of a fuss over it.

I've played with all the audio settings (e.g. 12-bit/16-bit) but this has made no difference.

Blog Entries

You sure this tape is recorded onto in DV format - another common error is to get DVCAM and DV mixed up - I suggest cross examining the person who snet you the tape - could even be HDV - best check - all three formats use the same tapes.

I suspect that you are right here - I wasn't aware of the DVCAM format and it could well be this or an HD tape - many thanks for the advice from everyone - I've learnt from this experience. I will try and get in touch with the originators of the tape, though I don't have ready access to them.

Blog Entries

The dvcam / dv thing caught me out years back. Ask around if anyone you know has an HDV cam you can try the tape in - my gut feeling is that it is HDV.

Many thanks for all your help (& very fast responses).