Thread: same priced c2d vs i7

Default same priced c2d vs i7

ok, i think this q is a big one fo sho but just interested to find out the video editors perspective. I've got the newer i7 in mind but idk, it seems to me that the difs are too close-

at the same time idk if its worth getting the older hardware and saving $- at the loss of future compatability etc.
    Last edited by pablok2; 12-30-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Blog Entries

And what, may I ask, is a c2d and an i7?

Blog Entries

c2d - core 2 duo.
    i7 - new intel processors - new micro code iteration. New fab is next, then micro code again.

I suspect i7 clock for clock will be noticably better and mem access is faster - howver it costs much more and core2duo sysems are way fast enough already.

It was my cash I would go for a core2duo - bargains to be had. Future compatibility wont be a problem.

I dont like being an early adopter of anyting - let other people find the bugs first.

Blog Entries

Well I think that probably answer your question form a video editor's prospective. Personally I care little about what I'm using to edit. A PC is a PC to me. In fact I do most of my editing on a laptop.

Blog Entries

Unless you do AVCHD and / or insist on using motion blur in your projects we seem to have reached a point where just about any 4 core processor is way fast enough for most people - even us video mooks.

With my next upgrade the need for speed will be secondary to data security - security from drive falures.

well, as far as i know- the i7 does have some serious compatability upgrades, for one being the built in fsb- serious performance gain in terms of ram access, not to mention-> ddr3 triple channel, but i will agree on the time-will-show.