Thread: .dat >mpeg and back to .dat

Default .dat >mpeg and back to .dat

Experimenting here....before removing VCDGear from system as I have never used it before , I noticed option to convert .dat files to .mpeg. Ol' brain got spinning, and thought I'd try something, which is not the issue. Question is....the conversion took only 7 seconds going from .dat to .mpeg for a 67meg file (only 4 min. video).
    I did very small edit to .mpeg , then tried using VCDGear to change back to .dat from revised .mpeg. But, this seemed to stall the program, as progress never appeared, and upon checking for file where it was saved, found only a 67kb .dat file , regardless of how long I allowed VCDGear to sit there "writing" , but showing no progress bar??
    Any ideas on this?
    PS... The orig. .dat file opened in my editing program same as any .mpeg would , but program wont resave as .dat file. Dont suppose could just change file extension ....dat to mpeg and back??
    AMD Athlon 2Gig / XP Home / 512 Ram / ATI All-In-Wonder-9k-64M / 2 80G Drives

Blog Entries

Default Re: .dat >mpeg and back to .dat

Quote Originally Posted by mrlewp
    PS... The orig. .dat file opened in my editing program same as any .mpeg would , but program wont resave as .dat file. Dont suppose could just change file extension ....dat to mpeg and back??
    Yes. As far as I'm aware, as long as it's VCD compliant MPEG (which it will be as it came from a VCD), you can just change the extension back and burn to a CD with the same file structure. I don't believe the conversion adds any special headers to the MPEG file. May be wrong.