Thread: New :)

Default New :)

I currently use a Dell Dimension 8400 (bought Dec 2005) - nothing upgraded except 4gb ram and a firewire card.

Running Premiere Pro CS3 and record film with a Canon HX-A1, usually SD for now - will be using HD in the furture no doubt.

I also use Photoshop CS3, Dreamweaver MX (needs upgrading I trust) and a few programs that convert AVI's to Flash.

I'm looking to create a faster rendering PC and also one that allows me to edit in CS3 without the dreaded red bar appearing over the footage every time I try to add a few effects or transitions.

Heres what I came up with for my build, I'm looking to future proof the PC so I get at least 4 years out of this one too.

PSU - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified

(or this one - looks nicer ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 800W)

Mobo - ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

Memory - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Hard Drive 1 - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Hard Drive 2 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Hard Drive 3 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Optical - LG Black 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L - Retail

Case - RAIDMAX AZTEC ATX-619WO Black/ Orange

Firewire, audio and ethernet cards.

(edit to add) Monitor - Dell 2407 (already have)

Heres the problems:

Is it even worth building this now with Vista 64 as the OS - or waiting till Windows 7 arrives?

My head is kinda mush after all the research - can you see any glaring errors in the build?

GPU - I tried to find one that was recommended by editors rather than gamers - am I understanding right that CS3 doesnt even use the GPU anyway - am I wasting my time with this GPU ....better suggestions?

I've seen posts that say CS3 does work on 64bit systems - is this correct?

All help is much appreciated
    Last edited by GoEasyImNew; 12-29-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

The PC - very nice. I am currently using an 'old' 1.8 core duo without any angst ( I only do SD ) so I am sure it has the power.

Drives - the raptor for system is a wise choice. From first hand expirience I can say it makes windows much more responsive, well xp anyway.
    Now I have a stable PC, a relaible camera, and consequently good mental health I mainly worry about loosing data / video. The more work you do the more paranoid you may become. Perhaps consider making the two big drives a raid 1 array to ensure complete peace of mind.
    RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GPU - check with software venodrs but i believe that it is irrelevant - if so and you dont play games the card is over specced. My G card was £30 quid.

OS - you can wait for the new untill you shuffle off this mortal coil. Go vista and you can always change to 7. Again check with vendors for software OS prefs. My guess is everything will work with 7 very soon as I understand it is vista in differnet clothes.

As for slow down in preview - no escape - as the pc gets better you ususally end up using more power hungry effects and you soon fall out of real time again - but a faster pc is always better - so long as it is stable.

i'm goin for something similar but with the lower priced 220$ MSI mobo, i feel the need to kick the beloved c2d into the dust but i would still like to find out if any of you think its worth going next gen cpu?