Thread: Problems with VirtualDub / Green line hardware problem

Default Problems with VirtualDub / Green line hardware problem

Hello everyone,

Specs to begin with;

Camera: Sony TVR48e (Video8xr)

Capture card: VDM on a GeForce4 ti600 (although same problem happens with Dazzle* DVC)

-------

First of all! VirtualDub has gone mad, I understand that the codecs you can use in normal mode compared to capture mode will be different, as only certain codecs will work with certain sizes and ratios and colour formats.

But.. it seems like Vdub is locked onto a mode it can't use, it says its on [Current: AP41, 16 bits per pixel]. However, I'm unable to change this. I'm certain it should be using YUYV 4:2:2 Interleaved, but it won't change it. If you save this, and load the program up again, it will complain that it is using an invalid format.

It's this which is causing me to be unable to select a codec in the compression dialogue. Only choice I get it this "AP41". Which produces completely fucked videos (just random noise, by the looks of it).

This isn't a major problem, as I have other means of capturing video to AVI, but...

--------------------

Problem 2! And this has happened for ages, but seeing as I just had the camera's tape-deck fixed ( cost dixons 100+ - thankgod for 5 year coverplans ), and we're planning on making a film soon, I thought I should at least attempt to sort it out.

On the far right of the image is a green stripe, about 15 pixels. It's not solid green, but it will turn anything in that region green.

Also, at the bottom of the image they'll be quite a bit of distortion (as if the tape is going a bit screwy).

If I capture from my TV, the image is perfect. So, I thought I'd run the camera through my VCR through the TV to my PC. The image actually got there (!!), but there was still the green line.

So, thinking on my feet, I recorded from the camera to the VCR, and then played the VCR through the TV to the PC. But still, the green line is there.

That's what muddles me the most, why it is always there.

I could crop, but as you can guess, I'd like to leave that as a final solution.

--

Hope somebody can help, thank you

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums!!

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think the green bar's going to be inevitable and the best solution to crop the offending line. You could try updating to the latest WDM drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_win...98se_2.13.html)

Hopefully someone could correct me on this - analogue capture isn't something I do much of I'm afraid!

Aye, since I moved up in hardware (but bought the same problems accross!) the resolutions I can capture at mean I can crop it down, keep it in proportion, and still have it at a decent size.

But if there was a way, it'd be great.

I'm not sure, but maybe even editing that section of the image to reduce the green. Could work, but I have a feeling that I'd find it had no colour at all, and was just grey.

From various searches though, I can see it's a pretty common problem. I'm almost certain it's just a case of that camera and the conversion to "digital". Seeing as everything works on it's own, and plugged into everything else, apart from whem the damn camera is involved!

Thankyou

it sounds to me like your capture settings are set to ntsc-ness, and you should be using pal. that happens with the software i got WITH my vivo geforce, and there's no way to access the settings in the bloody software. it was rubbish anyway.

i use iuvcr, and i'd assume that the dubs have similar settings, so have a play.

Hi, I'm using IUVCR aswell now (only app so far to write a proper AVI file for editing), and I'm doing what I said before, using a high resolution and just cropping it.

It's all set in PAL, even the camcorder!

Thankyou

i'm confused, is is still giving you the green bar? if so, that's odd. you sure it's set to pal-i (assuming you're in the uk)?

Failing that, i'd try different nvidia wdms. the ones off the iuvcr website work great for me.

Yep, Pal_i (and all of them!) result in the green line, I think I have it sussed for now (seeing as this film will be in widescreen, the cropping involved does it all automatically)

thanks

is it a composite/svideo problem maybe?

I'm using composite, and everything is set to recieve that.

I think it is simply a case of the camera always has the green-line on it, but the television doesn't display the full image (in aftereffects it's out the safe-zones), but cropping is working well now!