Thread: Canon HV-30, manual focusing, ok or difficult?

Default Canon HV-30, manual focusing, ok or difficult?

I'm planning on getting a Canon hv-30 (tape, hdv and dv) sometime in the new year but one thing that I'm trying to find information on is the manual focusing with this camera. I know it doesn't have 'real' manual focusing in terms of a focus ring on the lens barrel, just a small wheel on the side of the camera. If you own this camera is it easy to focus even when the lcd screen is sticking out and you are fumbling around trying to find it?

Blog Entries

" Focus (6.5)
    The manual focus on last year’s Canon HV20 was deemed to be very good, second only to the much larger and more expensive JVC GZ-HD7. This year’s Canon HV30 is identical to the HV20 when it comes to focus. Manual focus is controlled via a small dial on the left-hand side of the camcorder. In some regards, the dial is poorly placed. The LCD panel will invariably block your view of the dial, so you’ll have to feel it out. Also, depending on the angle of the LCD, it can physically block the dial. "

ref - Canon HV30 Camcorder Review - Canon HDV Camcorders

I am such a google God ! ( only took me 6 hours )

I am sad to see that focus dont even get a proper ring anymore. The ring on my PC4 is very convenient and in the obvious place - odd that it has changed - cameras have had focus rings since the dawn of recorded time.

Some progress isnt.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-29-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks Mark, the focusing was a concern of mine as it seems the placing of the focus dial is in a bad place and there is plenty of opportunity to hit the camera body with your finger as you try and find it. Maybe I'm wrong, if someone has come up with a way to over come this then I'd like to hear about it. I was also looking at the Panasonic HDC-SD100 which has a manual focus ring on the lens but it uses 3MOS and there are doubts as to whether they can cut it compared to 3CCD.

Blog Entries

I cant comment first hand on single cmos / 3 ccd but some of the best cameras in the world use a siignle cmos - admiddetly this is super high end stuff like the kinetta and red.

kinetta: by filmmakers, for filmmakers ( is a mad one - check it out)
    RED / Cameras ( even more mad - 4500 by 2500 sensor - HD sticker allowed -even by me- lols)

So perhaps a single cmos is ok?
    And why do high end cameras have to look like something from toys-r-us that batman uses ( red ) or a prop from Brazil ( kinetta)

So, I have an HV30, and yes I would have preferred a proper focus ring. The little focus wheel is on the left hand side near the lens.

Using it on a tripod, coming up from under the cam and using your left hand thumb on the focus dial with the forefinger wrapped under the lens seems to be the most usable solution.

I love this camera, but you have to wonder why Canon didn't go the extra few quid and provide a proper focus ring.

I agree with you MarkOneMusic, it does seem strange to make such a great camcorder and then just to stick a focusing dial on as an after thought (in a really bad position - unless you have x-ray eyesight) even though it is a primary control. I can't decide on whether to get it or go for a Panasonic, neither are great as they both have the dreaded zoom slider. I don't know about you guys but that is the worst design of a control I have ever seen on a camcorder, and they are all at it, JVC, Sony, Canon, Panasonic, it's like a plague (bring out your dead). If they can then go and put two buttons on a remote control with W on one and T on the other, why can't they fit two buttons on the top rear of the camcorder?

Blog Entries

Next year it'll all be touch screen nonsense i expect.

I blame the idiots in marketing at big corp, if it's new it must be better - next I blame the idiotic consumer for falling for it !

Rockers or rings doth a zoom do make but only a ring will do for focus duties, tis true !