Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: audio and copyright

1. Default audio and copyright

hi all

i understand about the use of music and copyright etc.

But what about using it in small video for fun i.e. the ones we see on youtube, there couldnt be a mass problem otherwise alot of youtube people would be done by now?

cheers

Blog Entries

Sound of pandoras box opening and all the evils of the world escape - plague, psetilence, death, the MacCanns.

All caused by people making videos for fun and using music they like. Honest, I read that on the bpi website. Lols.

It is a civil offence to copy even a part of this tune in this way - but as you say we all do it and frankly I think we should. Personally I feel creative reuse is something we should all fight for the right to do legally.

As you say everyone is at it.

The worst thing that will happpen is that the tube will pull the film and give you a scary community warning ( pah ), and may eventually suspend / ban you i am on my third 2 week ban for copyright infringement and having a sense of humour.

More likely you will just have to accept the odd ad on the page - you tube has done deals with rights holders to facilitate this.

Go for it.

All bets are totally off for professional charged for work.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-29-2008 at 10:46 PM.

3. Default

cheers Mark

it's either that or get the old keyboard out lol

Blog Entries

Actually, the worst thing which might happen is that the copyright owner decides that you're going to be their "example" for this month and you get prosecuted, a thousand dollar/pound/euro fine, court costs and all your equipment confiscated.

Like all illegal activities, you takes your chance. Like speeding. It's illegal, a lot of people do it nonetheless and the few who get caught pay a fine and get points on their licence. Some get disqualified. Others get away with it. Are you feeling lucky?

5. Default

The Guru

you should have finised that last sentance off Mr Eastwood style lol.

Very fare point Guru, i could be the unlucky one out of a million to get done......i think i may get the old keyboard out and try some new master piece.

Thanks

Blog Entries

There's so much copyright-free stuff out there, we have a few composers on this forum who do stuff for free. Failing that programs such as GarageBand and Acid House let you compose stuff from copyright-free clips.

I've got stuff on youtube with "illegal" music, most people have, it's just that you need to know that it is, technically, illegal and you might just be the unlucky bugger than Sony picks on this month. There's more chance of winning the lottery but... It could be you!

Blog Entries

YEa - dont do the crime if yer gonna moan about the time.

Personally - I want Sony to pick me - it would make a great little film. I suspect ocean finance may get me first, or macdonalds.

Macdonalds gets everyone in the end . . . but rarely with their copyright infringement
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Lols - they'll never take me alive, I am dam slim - and the fags and coffee will get me fi r s

And - at the risk of repetition I found this -

Darwin Awards: FAQ

and we are singatories to the thing it spekas of.

Now I am reallly cross as it would appear you tube should not have pulled my ocean finance spoof - bloody cow towing lap dogs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    singatories

Sing-a-tories = Conservative Karaoke?

The link confirms that Youtube were "legally" right to pull your spoof as (a) you used original footage from the advert (The background to your bluescreen) and (b) you used their name. Ocean and Finance on their own are not copyright-able but used together as a business name, they are. Careful Mark, you're starting to sound like Jeremy Clarkson, you don't agree with a law so you ignore it, then whinge when you get caught.

As for me, I'm banned from McDonalds anyway because of being the cameraman on a documentary which showed how they mistreat their workers. The whole crew got letters from their legal dept informing us that if we entered a McDisgusting we would be trespassers. Horrible company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast