Thread: Firewie packed up

Default Firewie packed up

Hi Guys

Here’s a little problem that occurred yesterday, on Saturday I captured about 5 hours of Mini DV in Firewire, once captured I shut the machine down without checking anything on the timeline.
    High Guys, Hope this is the right slot to put this in

Yesterday when I switched the machine on it arrested on a page that normally just flashes up, at the bottom of that page it says “CMOS settings wrong, Press F1 to set up, Press F2 to load default values and continue, well I pressed F2 and everything loaded OK, I then opened Premier and opened the project with the DV I had loaded the day before, on the timeline Video was OK but no Audio, not a sound.
    I tried capturing another tape, no sound would capture again, I tried the RCA output from the Camera (Sony TRV 900e) into my Canopus ADV 110 on Analogue and all was well, I captured sound and vision I suspected the Firewire had broken down.

To confirm things I connected the camera to my Laptop in firewire, it Captured all but the Audio, so it looks like the Firewire on the 900 has gone

Now, I am reluctant to try another camera on my editing machine because if there is a problem with the PC did IT damage the camera OR did the camera’s firewire become faulty and damage the PC.

Can anyone offer any thoughts? Has anything lie this happened to you?

It looks like I’m going to have to get someone to look at the editing PC as it still tells you to press F2 to start it.
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.

Blog Entries

Not a f wire fault - vidoe and sound data is mixed togather.

I suspect the pc has gone loopy and lost a codec or two.

Thank you for the reply mark, I'm sure the PC has gone loopt as you say, but the camera will not pass sound through firewire on my lap top either, so some thing is amiss.

At the moment I don't want to put another camera on the PC in case it b***ers that.
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.

Blog Entries

I would guess that you have a coincidence on your hands regarding the CMOS and firewire seeming to 'go' at the same time. Try changing the CMOS battery on the PC and see what happens.

As for the firewire issue, plugging / unplugging firewire with the camera switched on is a hazardous thing to do and can cause burn out of the firewire at either end. Since you say the laptop connection is doing the same, I would agree that it's most likely the camera at fault.

You have little choice though than at least trying another cam to your PC to see if you can capture with sound. Otherwise you'll never know.

I bought a £50 dv camcorder for capture not only to protect wear and tear on the film cams but also to avoid any potential firewire problems. Nip to your local second hand dealer and see what you can find....

Thanks for the reply Andy, someone else suggested a battery gone in the PC, looks like it was a coincidence, I shall investigate the camera further.

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd hand camera for a permanent hook up for some time, that time is now here I think
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video