Thread: New to vegas 9, where to start

Default New to vegas 9, where to start

Hello everyone. i have recently purchase a new camcorder the Canon HG20 and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.

Im slowly learning by watching videos on youtube, but only found a few beginner vids. can anyone recommend where / how to learn to use this program?

next question is, im adding a mpg vid to the timeline, and i get no audio(only vid). if i convert this mpg to avi i get no vid(only sound). If i add both these files i get both audio and video, is there anything wrong by do it this way?

How do i properly add a mpg file. if i add an original avi file that i have, i get both vid and sound. and its not a codec program because i get sound and audio on the mpg file when played using VLC media player.

thank .

2. Default

The HG20 records in AVCHD which Vegas is not particularly fond of. Even though your media player can play the file I will bet that you do not have a codec that Vegas can use to read the file correctly. I woulod use Super to find the name of a codec and then get and install it.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    The HG20 records in AVCHD which Vegas is not particularly fond of. Even though your media player can play the file I will bet that you do not have a codec that Vegas can use to read the file correctly. I woulod use Super to find the name of a codec and then get and install it.
    hi thanks for your response. i have yet tried to use the new camcorders avchd files with vegas.

im using avi files that i recorded using my point and shoot still camera, or my sony sr40 (Sony Handycam DCR-SR40 - infoSync Reviews). the sr40 produces mpg files that only have video. if i convert this mpg to avi, i only get audio. if i add both of these files i get both audio and video, i can render both of these files to a single avi, and when added to vegas, i get both audio and vid. seems like a long process, maybe some loss of quality???

thx

Blog Entries

Start at the start - read the manual.

D load ' nimo codec pack '

Vegas 9 will accept and edit native avchd files - as well as any editor will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Start at the start - read the manual.

D load ' nimo codec pack '

Vegas 9 will accept and edit native avchd files - as well as any editor will.
    the avchd load fine. its just the avis i have from my previous camcorder that are not loading.

Blog Entries

Did you install the codec pack as suggested above ?