Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xmas with kids!

Blog Entries

Default Xmas with kids!

Another xmas with my neice and nephew. Pushing the limits of the humble Sony HC30. Think it's definately at the end of its DV life.

Last edited by Marc Peters; 12-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.

The video grading looks great, and Vimeo quality is always stunning.

I had several looks at the camera flash edit, and being really picky I felt it could have moved a frame or two earlier, sure thats being really picky, its just a gut feeling I had about that point.

Now I assume these kids will look back at this in 20 years time, on who knows what format..(I would assume on who ever is still online, some say youtube is about to fold) so the choice of music is a little curious, will it sound to them how it sounds to you today, is it a timeless piece of music, something I feel for others to ponder.

Have a great new year.
    Last edited by rollingstock; 12-28-2008 at 06:55 AM.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    Now I assume these kids will look back at this in 20 years time, on who knows what format..(I would assume on who ever is still online, some say youtube is about to fold) so the choice of music is a little curious, will it sound to them how it sounds to you today, is it a timeless piece of music, something I fell for others to ponder.
    It was chosen as a timeless piece. I was reminded of the song as Eartha Kit sadly passed away on Christmas this year.

Blog Entries

Liked it - I too lament Eartha Kitt's passing - I was a fan at five.

As for small cameras failings, it's in the can and that is what matters - my tiny crap cam gets used far more than my big posh cam. Far too easy to obsess about the camera sometimes rather than get the film shot.

Stuff like this aint about absoloute technical quality but about spontanaiety, and for that you need a small dim simple camera methinks.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-29-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Well I've decided to stop being such a tight fisted git and splash out on a new camera today. I spent an age adjusting all manner of setting in post to get those results above.

Blog Entries

Yea - I know what you mean. With my pc4 if you start pulling curves and messing with sats it's artifacts a gogo - with the jvc I can take much more extreme meausres in post befor i get edges and blocks and noise.

What I really nitice is the increased exposure gamut of the big camera.

Well it was worth it , it does look great, and its funny how the humble mini DV format is now run out of the shops, in fact its a perfect time to pick them up real cheap.

Now how long did that format last...15 years..? do I hear higher..??

Classic Sony, dump the consumer, have them adopt a new format which does not even work with the previous one, and do the same in a few years time..

Mark I assume when you say pc4, its the tiny Sony PC104...I had one it just went bust, well it was a slow death, first the Tele Wide button failed, then the sound had a crackle over it, then it was stubborn to start, and then just nothing.

It died with a tape trapped inside it, so I pulled it apart, it was incerdible inside, not a wasted space, so compact, and the area where the recording heads and tape is held was built like a battle tank. It is a very impressive build, a piece of art.
    And when its apart, in its various components, it's 5 times bigger, and impossable to put back together.

I intend on mounting it as a piece of art, in a frozen moment as if it had been blown apart.

It did have a tough life, it was my work camera, knocked around for years and worked in dirty enviroments.

Try to buy a mini DV camera these days, anything like the PC104...it does not exist, well certainly not in the tiny consumer market where I live.

Blog Entries

DV? - was new in 1995, so just about 15 years yes - and counting as far as I am concerned. I bet that is three times longer than HDV will last. AVCHD card / drive cams will kill it from the bottom and proper HD formats like the sony ex1 uses will kill it from the top.

And my other prediction for 09 - blu ray will totally flop as a consumer format - it will - you see - people dont understand it or want it. VHS tape to dvd was something people could grasp, but buying all those dvds again? Nahhhh.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-29-2008 at 12:00 PM.

I totally agree Mark, go for a shop and see who is buying Blue Ray titles....no one, who is buying Blue Ray decks....maybe a few who are keeping up with the latest and greatest.

I do know that they totally stuffed up the Blue Ray version of Thunderbirds, done a crop on it to re-format it to 16:9, seems Blue Ray is a 'widescreen format', 25% of the picture is gone, not even done to suit best crop. So all the fans are faced with a repurchase of something they bought on DVD 3 years ago...no thanks.

On this whole new world of HDV, and relating it back to this video where we all strive for a beautiful picture from humble miniDV, I would hold on, if the Red Digital Cinema Camera Company comes true with all it has install for the world, it will make HDV look like VHS tape in a instant, but who knows what media they will support if they go to consumer level, I bet its not Blue Ray, infact its called Red Ray.

HDV may be the shortest lived format we have seen dished out to the humble consumer.

RED / Index If they become consumer level, it will be the best money you will ever spend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast