Thread: Where the Money Goes on that CD purchase

Default Where the Money Goes on that CD purchase

At last a rough guide on who and were your money goes and if the artist actually gets anything at all.
    BBC - OneMusic How to... - How the money goes (page 1)
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 12-24-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    At last a rough guide on who and were your money goes and if the artist actually gets anything at all.
    BBC - OneMusic How to... - How the money goes (page 1)
    Interesting. I wish I were paid my salary in advance! And if it didn't work out, I'd still get all that lovely money...

Blog Entries

That starts out as ill informed to begin with. For instance, it says the average price of a CD is 15? I just bought my daughter the new Take That album from Asda for 5.88.

So where does that leave the BBCs theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    That starts out as ill informed to begin with. For instance, it says the average price of a CD is 15? I just bought my daughter the new Take That album from Asda for 5.88.

So where does that leave the BBCs theory?
    It does say..... and it is a BIG clue
    "For the sake of this argument, we'll say that the average CD costs about 15."

You will then have to to do your sums for 5.88p

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    It does say..... and it is a BIG clue
    "For the sake of this argument, we'll say that the average CD costs about 15."

You will then have to to do your sums for 5.88p
    Granted. But - They also say the average price of a CD to the shop is eight quid. I honestly cannot believe Asda would select Take That as a loss leader, and take over a two quid hit on each copy.

EDIT - Ok, I've read it all properly now..... That'll teach me....
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 12-24-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries

I dont feel so bad about my 5000 limewired tunes now. I do buy CDs too but often only after I have discovered a band via streaing radio and limewire.

It is interesting to see how some bands have joined the new world of the interweb. I think it was radio head who gave away thier last album and asked people to donate - the average donation was 2 quid and the band were well pleased - I can see why now.

It is salient to point out that the position for film makers is much worse. The whole distribution thing with cinemas is a totally closed shop to everyone but heavy hitters. We have very few independants that will take a risk on anything more challenging than the Lion King.

I mourn the loss of the supporting flick. Our local cool independant, the Watershed has started showing shorts by local film makers befor the main feature. I hope others follow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I mourn the loss of the supporting flick. Our local cool independant, the Watershed has started showing shorts by local film makers befor the main feature. I hope others follow.
    That's great news Mark. But I suspect it has limited appeal. We all have so much "choice" for entretainment nowadays, I don't think many people are prepared to "waste" even half an hour of their time watching something when they've no ideas what it's about.
    Back in the "good old days" of the B Movie, I use to find going to Woolworths with my grandmother and coming out with a balloon on a stick entertaining. Times change.
    There is a market for the small independent filmmaker - and the internet gives us an excellent medium in which the filmmaker can grow his craft. But I suspect screenings will always be mainly limited to festivals and an audience of enthusiasts.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    It is interesting to see how some bands have joined the new world of the interweb. I think it was radio head who gave away thier last album and asked people to donate - the average donation was 2 quid and the band were well pleased - I can see why now.
    I wonder if they're aware that because of that action 10-20 other bands never got the chance to try to cut a track or two. At least, that wuld be the record company's argument.
    Tim

Blog Entries

" I use to find going to Woolworths with my grandmother and coming out with a balloon on a stick entertaining "

Lols - perhaps, but I have this purloined catch phrase - ' local films for local people ' - I often get messages from people locally who see my local films, they love em - and the other day I got stopped in my street and asked if I was ' zaskar ' - they saw my you tube channel.

At the arty indepentant i go to the extra is ten mins or so and peope seem to like. It is dissapointing that they are predictably worthy and arty - all a bit obvious - the last I saw was a rather serious anim on the bristol slave trade. Watershed

Our other local independant is a hippy coop arts centre that smells of damp dogs and patchouli oil - they have an open night every month where local people turn up and show thier films - totally anything gets shown - that is aslo very popular, and not only with auteurs. CUBE MICROPLEX CINEMA, BRISTOL, BLUESCREEN

Call me old fashoined but filmmakers need cinemas - seeing your own film shown huge in front of a real eracting audience is a buzz and a great learning tool. Well, usually - once someone shouted at me quite a lot after one of my screenings....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I wonder if they're aware that because of that action 10-20 other bands never got the chance to try to cut a track or two. At least, that wuld be the record company's argument.
    Fair point and that may be true, but the world changes, changes is often painfull - but it is happening.

I would say that those other bands are more likely to be staying away from the usury record lables who still seem to operate something similar to the ' star syatem ' in old hollywood and instead are probably pionerring being a muso in the internet age. Now everyone can be a record company. I am speaking from a poorly informed position so i may be talking arse, I dont fully get the music industry.