Thread: Internal or Ext secondary hard drive for video editing?

1. Default Internal or Ext secondary hard drive for video editing?

Noob back on the board needing some more help, this time in choosing a secondary hard drive to dedicate just for video editing.

I read about how having a secondary hard drive is essential to not only protect the video from dropped frames, but to also protect my regular documents in the event of hard drive failure, which may increase due to the stresses of editing.

I know basically that Firewire is the preferred choice over USB 2.0, and that SATAII is faster than IDE and may possibly be faster than USB 2.0 and Firewire, but i'm not sure what would be the best secondary hard drive for video editing. Do I go with an internal or an external? What would give me the best performance to avoid dropped frames?

Thanks.

I have a teacher that told us to make sure we buy a firewire external drive. Firewire 400 is suppose to do 400mbps and usb 2.0 does 480mbs. Yet when it comes to actual reading/writing to a disk firewire is still faster.

However I went against what my teacher said and bought an usb/esata external. Esatas way faster than firewire 400, and even firewire 800. At school I even use usb because they dont have esata ports, and ive never had any problems. Esatas supposed to do 3000mbps. Just make sure the harddrive is atleast 7200rpm, and has atleast 16mb cache.

I personally like western digital and seagate. And Ive had ALOT of problems with maxtor in the past. The old maxtors I had used to overheat like crazy.

Blog Entries

Video editing will not wear your drives out any faster than most uses of a computer.

The main reason for keeping video on a seperate drive is to do with system preformance and responiveness.

Extra drives may also be used for back ups. All my finished films and much of my recent raw video is saved in identical directorys on two seperate drives.

On most systems f wire will bench mark better than usb, but usb is fine in most instances. Clearly e sata is going to be the best way to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Clearly e sata is going to be the best way to connect.
    Untli FW3200 and usb 3.0 arrives, which will be soon.
    And yes FW3200 does mean 3.2 gb transfer speed.

Paul.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkbristol View Post
    Untli FW3200 and usb 3.0 arrives, which will be soon.
    And yes FW3200 does mean 3.2 gb transfer speed.

Paul.
    Yea - cool for big transfers but unlikely to be of benefit for general editing - video band width is only 3.5 MB/ sec - or a bit more with a 35mbit ex1 such as yours.