Thread: How to merge and organize your scenes?

Default How to merge and organize your scenes?

Hi,
    I got to the point where I need to ask someone more experienced questions about SONY Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro. I do a bit of video editing just for my own pleasure and needs and so far, after trying few other editing applications, found Video Studio 11.5 from Corel just the right software for me. It does the job intuitively and doesnít have any extras you would as a amateur never used.
    But then I heard of SONY Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro and had a go with it and discovered its beauty in many parts of editing process. But there are two things that really put me off and havenít found any answers to them yet.

1/ Before I start editing I tend to capture my videos as a single mpg2 file without chapter detection and automatic scene split. It means I have one big (3-4GB) file and that is my source for further editing. Now using Vegas I didnít find any option at all to split long movie into small sections that you could have somewhere within the application organized, give them names, have them sorted in separate folders, and just drag and drop them whenever you find place for them in your editing process. Thatís in my opinion, a basic stuff and Video Studio has got it.
    I did found option to use Regions and Marks but that is not the same thing, because this make sense for short movies where you donít do too much of a scene splitting and you sort of keep overview of what scenes you have available.

2/ Other thing I would found really beneficial to find an answer to is whether you can merge scenes together once you split the up. That would be so useful and would make things much easier.

If anyone knows answer those issues please let me know. Thanks Ondrej

Blog Entries

1 - I always captire without scene detection. Then I select the good shots from the timeline and paste into another track and save that project as ' shotpics ' or something. I am not sure I grasp all this talk of folders and stuff.

2 - You can do this - vegas allows you to copy and paste across projects in 2 seperate openings of vegas.

Blog Entries

Scene detection IS there in one of the Options in the DV Capture program (it's a checkbox). That will detect scenes based on the timecode of your video (which works if you're caprturing DV - I'm not sure about MPEG2 as that's not really a capture format)

Whether or not you've got lots of little files or one large one, once you've imported them into your project use the "Project Media Tab" to create/organise your files into BINs.

You can also drag your large clip onto the timeline or into the trimmer (preferred), select a section and then create a "subclip". A subclip appears in your project media alongside complete files and can be moved into varios bins in the same way.

It's got it all there. You just need to learn the product.
    Tim

Hi
    thanks for your reply. I am sure there are things i still didnít discover.
    I am not perfectly sure we talking about the same program though. First i would just remind that i work in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 not Vegas Pro 8 or 9. Just to make sure we talking about the same application.

I did have a look closely into Trimmer tab and tried to find "subclip" option, but found only "Add media from cursor (A)Ē and the other option next to it. But even if i split my regions into separate small clips thereís no obvious option to just drag them into the Media Bin or anywhere there in Project media tab.
    For instance Ė when i work in Video Studio 11.5 i drop the whole large file into the Trimmer or timeline (I DONíT use scenes detection when capturing from camcorder), then create folders within Media tab that describe the best each part of my long footage that i am planning to edit, then simply do the splitting regions of each scene i selected and drop them into particular folder. At the end of this process i know exactly what to achieve as i have all scenes perfectly prepared, trimmed and organized within folders. So i just put final movie together by dragging those into my timeline and then i do transitions, timings, music,...
    Can you do the same in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9? If yes could you please describe me exactly how as i cannot find those options.
    Can you also tell me why MPEG2 is not a good format to save your captured footage? Every forum i read recommends this format as a good compromised between quality x file size x compatibility.
    Many thanks.

In the trimmer try right click and and see if you can save as sub clip

normally any markers or regions will appear in the clip when on the timeline

"In the trimmer try right click and and see if you can save as sub clip
    normally any markers or regions will appear in the clip when on the timeline"

I dont get this option save as subclip, the only way of doing it at the moment is CTRL+M which is Render to a new track.But this takes lots of time as it's fyzicly creating a new file from your selection rather then just a linked object. Markers and regions are good but when you have 100 of them you kind of loose the string...

Blog Entries

So sorry for wasting your time, I should have checked my VMSP first. You're quite correct. Subclips is only available in Pro.

As for Mpeg2. Yes it is a great compromis ebetween quality and size. It's the format used for DVDs after all. But it's a delivery format. It's not best suited to editing because it's been compressed both within the frame (as with a still photo - aka intraframe compression) AND temporally (ie across time - interframe compression). So each frame has has been much more highly compressed than a format designed for capturing/editing - like DV-AVI. If your edits are all straight cuts, and you're not changing the images in any way this isn't likely to make much difference (although there's more work to be done by your PC in previewing the clips). It's more of a problem when you've got anything else (dissolves or other transitions, colour correction and other effects)
    Tim