Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony HVR-HD1000? Bargain or Bull

Default Sony HVR-HD1000? Bargain or Bull

Greetings all,

Following on from my last post regarding CMOS VS. CCD etc. I have been looking at the possibility of going HD in the new year.

Looking at the Sony range I saw the HVR-HD1000. It seems a steal at 995 ex vat for the amount of camera you get for your money

I've browsed the web for comparible footage to see what results it dishes out on a good day but haven't found anything worth judging it on.

I realise you get what you pay for and it's likely to be a consumer model in prosumer clothing, and questions like this are a dime a dozen but if anyone has any experience of this model I would value your impression on it.

Well, it's a single chip cam, and to my eye, and from the specs I read looks like they've taken their top consumer HDV cam and repackaged it in a pro shoulder-mount box. I have to say I have not seen it in the flesh but the pictures make it look plasticky and cheap.

In my experience, if something seems too cheap to be true, it generally turns out to end up being 'you get what you pay for'

Thats what i have been thinking, given the cost my mind sort of wants it to be good.

If anyone has had a play do let me know.

Blog Entries

Looks to me like sony marketing / design group made a wedding vidders cam. Looks pro with shoulder mount coolness but is good consumer cam inside.

I guess it all comes down to how well it performs. Even it if is only 'as good' as sony comsumer compact cams at that price it has gotta be worth checking out.

If it has xlrs and zebras and a decent focus ring that would be nice and may make it more appealing. edit And if it took full size dv tapes that would be good too.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-18-2008 at 03:45 PM.

A much respected colleague states "It has worked reliably and given good HD pictures (it often runs alongside my Z1 and V1). Because the lens diameter is smaller than the diameter of a 0.5 wide-angle lens that I already own, the full zoom range is available.
    Good points include compatability with other Sony cameras (and their existing batteries), a very fast rewind, No real bad points for what it is. Sony are really missing a trick by not making a proper 'events' version with full size tape and XLRs."
    It seems cracking value for money as a starter or back up cam.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

No xlrs or full size tapes? - shame. I bet a ' pro ' model appears soon. It reminds me of the sony vx9000e - this was a vx1000 in a shoulder package. For a bit more money you could have the dsr 200 - this was exactly the same but recorded to DVcam and had xlrs.

Blog Entries

It'll become a semi-pro's favourite because it has looks over true substance. Wannabe wedding vidders will buy it in droves I expect. Smart move from Sony.

Blog Entries

Oh great - so now everyone will think my uber cool big pro cam is a cheap plastic toy - yea - untill I use it as a weapon to smite all wannabe wedding vidders. No plastic sprayed to look like metal on this baby.

I bet the hdr has a ' PRO ' sticker on it too.

Dont forget people if you can live without HDV there are some real bargains to be had - proper pro cameras can be had for the same price as the hdr pretender.

As for living without HDV - just lie to the customers - they know nothing.

See- Sony DSR300 Professional Camcorder DSR 300 PAL on eBay, also, Camcorders, Photography (end time 28-Dec-08 22:00:00 GMT)

Lots of hours but nice cam - bet you could get that for less too.

Cheers for the feedback gentlemen. It is very much appreciated.

The cam seems to have pros and cons to think over. The reason i've been interested is just because of its price - I am really that shallow. Furthermore it looks more pro, even if it isn't.

I completely take on board what marks saying about getting more for your money with DV and I haven't ruled it out entirely, I am just thinking in the long run I will still want to change to HD.

No XLRS is a bit naff, but I think you can get an adapter, like on the Sony HVR A1E , I think its called, but I could be wrong about that.

Blog Entries

Lols - from an ad for a hvr 100 on e bay-

"The Smooth slow motion feature is also very nice, and works well with confetti etc "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast