Thread: Better encoding/compression

Default Better encoding/compression

Hi everyone, real newbie here. I handle the video for my church. Actually, I am the A/V guy who doesnt know a thing about the V part. I am an audio guy. I am techincally inclined, I handle our website etc. We purchased a Canon XHa1 video camera and the thing rocks. I shoot in HD ad 1920 x 1080 . A 45 minute message downloads from the camera to a file about 8.3 GB. We use vimeo to upload our videos too. I have a file size limitation of 1GB per file. Currently, I use MEP14+ as my editing software. Once edited and I put the graphics in, the dvd's look great. So do the mpg's, but they are about 1.8GB.

So, I am on a mission to find out a few things.

1 - I am learning that encoders are key. Trying to figure out how a movie studio can put 2 or 3 versions of a 90 minute movie on a dvd, plus extra stuff and I can barely get 2 45 minute messages on a dvd. I have been told that high quality econders are the key. They do great quality whil reducing the file size.

2 - What encoders work well? We are a small church and I cant spend thousands on software. One thing I have done is taken a dvd, then re-encoded those files as an mpg. That got to just under 1gb. But the quality is not as good as I would like. The graphics are a little iffy on that one.

any help would be great.

Blog Entries

Hardware professional decoders will give slightly better result but thay cost mega bucks and that isnt the way forward.

After about 1.5 hours the only way to get more on is to reduce quality, or use 2 separte dvds or get a burner that does double layer media.

Ok. So what are some of the best over the counter software encoders out there in the $500 or less range? I am used to using the MEP14+ product which is actually a decent little editor, but I want to be able to take it up a notch.

Also, why does it say "Windows Movie Maker" under my name?

Blog Entries

I acant speak with huge authourity on encoders - I use one and it works for me - very well features - sony DVD architect.

WMM under your name?? Well, a religous metaphor, Apostle maybe - post more and you become an Angel, then Jesus, then God - lols.