Thread: Panasonic AJD410AE

Default Panasonic AJD410AE

Evening all.
    For those who dont know (Probably all) i film small business safety awards and the such - I also record interviews for a small company, I use a well used XM2 and H2 for audio bringing them together in post prod using Adobe.

Now 2000 might not be a lot to some of you, but with a credit crunch on we are all feeling it, and im no different. I need a new camera as this one needs drop kicking into a housing estate with hoodies on each corner, thats why im looking at getting myself a sub 2000 camera which will deliver the best quality image.

While trawling the net i have come accross the above (Panasonic AJD410AE ) camera a few times as being "Good" and i have found it for sub 2000. However an indie film mate of mine has told me to by a JVC GY-HD200E, he says that the cost is low and the quality is very good.

However i have also been informed that the AG-HMC71 shoots very good pictures, and as long as it is set up correctly it will deliver the goods. however i will sometimes bump into a video chap who use's something like the AG-HMC71 and it looks like he is filming his chav mates chavy day out, but that could be the suit that is too big for him, or the greased back hair on an unshaved face while smelling of dirt. Either way -

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of the cameras?

and

If you could only choose out of them, which one would it be?

and

If you had 2000 what camera would you buy to get the best image?

I know it takes a lot of different things to make a great scene and picture, but if all was the same apart from the camera which one is better?

I have tried to search for a video comparrison for the mentioned cameras, but no one seems to be doing that!!

I might just stick to my 4th hand Cannon which has given me no problems (Apart from being pants in low light, is falling apart when i pick it up, the case is so banged up from being in the middle of a paint ball field and the image i get now is hit and miss as something is rattling inside it), but i do need something that looks big and delivers very good quality images.

Many thanks for any help / advice / info.

Mitch

Blog Entries

I would suggest you need to think about how your business may change as the two cams you mention are like calcium carbonate and rotten milk.

The Panasonic AJD410AE is a cam I nearly got last year - that is a proper big camera and shoots in 4:3 native DV ( well panas version of it - same to edit ). Can be had for brgain prices. My similar near new jvc dv5001e was 1600.

The JVC is a different animal. More compact, more prosumer. Its a hdv 720p cam ( or dv sd interlaced) and will cost you way more than the pana - I think it is 5000 ish new. I nearly got one of those once too untill I realised my rent boy days are over.

Do you need HDV?? Do you want to shoot in progressive format??

I think you need to work out what you need from your camera.

If i had 2000 I would go for the pana cos i like pro gear and I am yet to find a need for HDV, and I edit fast and hdv slows me down too much.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-16-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Cheers Mark,

Im more of a quality man myself and i am up till god knows what hour editing like now, so its realy a case of which will give me the better picture.

Think large screen advertising inside a business unit or promotional DVD's given away, the idea is to show quality. If the cheaper cam will give me a great picture in DV then do i need 720p? Im not sure.

The business isnt changing as i will probably do the same for a while im the one who is changing, i just want to deliver a fantastic picture in the best format. I dd post a small question before about Blue Ray DVD, and i would be looking at going down that route soon.

Just off the phone with my indie mate Carl and he is now telling me that he has had a 2nd unit go off and capture some "background" footage on a Panasonic AG-HMC71E and it looks good, its good enough for what he is after and he will be putting his productions onto DVD so now i am stuck - Still want the thoughts of the group on the options however.

The Pana AG-HMC71E can be had for about 1200, where as the AJ-D410AE is about 1400 (Used)

To mess things up a bit more (I started to write this at 11pm) just had a chat with a guy who uses a HVR A1E and tells me its the best cam he has ever had:
    XLR input, 1080i / 576p, 16:9 and so on..... only 1800 ish new.

WHAT DO I DO????

I will be buying in the new year so any advice will be most appreciated.

Cheers again Mark, you always do give good info.

Mitch

Blog Entries

Thanks for the big up.

If your method of ' broadcast ' is sd and people are happy with it then sd dv will be fine. But perhaps you need to see if that is likely to remain that way or maybe you competitiors - if you have any - may try to nab your customers with the hdv gag - maybe ??

The cams you mention are all very differnent. I cant decide what you what you prefer - personally I like to have a small crap cam for parties and my big pro cam for ease of use and tip top sd dv files that are soooo quick to edit on. But thats me.

As for what people say about the camera they just got - thats just what people do - no good in asking 10 people what camera to get cos all they do is tell you to get the camera they just got - as a rule.

Another thing - you work your cameras hard I note - pro gear is much tougher and is usually made on seperate production lines to higher standards.

Hi Mitch

A long time ago I know...but what did you buy in the end?

I'm in a similar situation to you as I type..

Thanks

Craig