Thread: Ccd cmos? Hd?

Default Ccd cmos? Hd?

Hey everyone,

I have been looking at a camera upgrade to HD. However I see a lot of newer HD cameras especially consumer models use CMOS and not 3CCD.

I remember reading that 3CCD is by far better, 3 chips, better better.

But I see a few prosumer models in the Sony range I have been eyeballing also sporting CMOS.

Sony HVR-Z5E (HVRZ5E)
    Sony HVR-Z7E (HVRZ7E)
    Sony PMW-EX1
    Sony HVR-HD1000E to name a few

My question is CMOS technology on par with CCD? espiecailly when using HIGHER DEFINITION !

Cheers for any help, I do enjoy this forum, and one day hope to know enough to reply to someone elses post. until then thankyou

Blog Entries

CMOS works differently - dunno how - but a single sensor does appear to do the job. One of the most advaced cameras in the world just uses one - and its a big one - over 4000 x 2000 pixels.

http://www.red.com/cameras/tech_specs/

Point of information - the above is a HD camera. You are referring to HDV which is light years worse than HD.

I checked that link and I cant really tell which bit is the front ha ,but it looks the business. Yes, it is the HDV section not HD, mainly due to the price. Perhaps they're isnt the difference there used to be in regards to 3CCD and CMOS.

I guess going on your other posts I have read that you dont advise a consumer HDV camera.

Blog Entries

Lols - you noticed that huh? I wouldnt take me too seriously as I have ' issues ' .

HDV is an effective format ( cohkes on words ) but I have railed against the way it has been marketed.

Many factors determine the quality of a video and no amount of fancy hype can make you a great film maker.

What I am certain of is that 'cheap' HDV cams fail to deliver the potential extra res.

Those you mention DO cos they cost !

The ex1 is in a different league from the others - it is a cheaper implimentation of the better HD std and uses a higher bit rate and less complex compression system so looks better and is easier to edit - but it costs !

I am still sd dv cos i love big pro cameras and I cant afford any hd / hdv pro kit yet, and anyway I spent 1600 quid on my near new pro jvc ( 7000 new )and i bet it performs better overall than a similarly priced hdv cam. ( burn the witch )
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-16-2008 at 07:40 PM.

[quote=Mark W;101143]

I spent 1600 quid on my near new pro jvc ( 7000 new )

1600=7000

I believe the technical term for that bit of math is called: BARGAIN

Blog Entries

Indeed - it's a buyers market for sd gear - only 110 hours on the drum too.

It was advertised on a trade site for 2000 so I was well happy.