Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You tube Quality.

Blog Entries

Default You tube Quality.

I just had a google and all I can find is contradictory and misleading - so here is the real shizzle.

First you tube HD is NOT HD it is just better - quite good actually.

To get the HD option you need to upload at 720p res and it appears from the examples that 3mbit is enough. The 6mbit looks the same as the 3mbit to me.

The HD option has a much higher bit rate than the present high quality sd option. It looks better cos of the higher bit rate, not the pixel count.

ALL VIDEO will look much better if uploaded as 720p renders.

So - I reccomend that people upload everything as a 720p 3mbit wmv. It really is that simple. You tube streams ' HD ' at about 2mbit/sec so there is no point in uploading files at a vastly higher bit rate.

From top to bottom. 720x576 1mbit wmv, 720x576 3mbit wmv, 1280 x 720 3mbit wmv, 1280 x 720 6mbit wmv.

Original files
    This is the 720p 3mbit wmv up loded to you tube - http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/VFo...zclip7203m.wmv
    This is the raw DV file ( 25mbit so will buffer for ages possibly) - http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/VFo...e/rawzomdv.avi

**** When watching tube vids always go to the actual you tube page and refreash to get the 'hd' option. ****

YouTube - test tube 1
    YouTube - Test tube 2
    YouTube - Test tube 3
    YouTube - Test tube 4
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 06-07-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Interesting. Doesn't the 100mb limit still stand though? It's going to be harder staying under the limit if we plan to upload 720p x

Blog Entries

I think the limit may have gone up.

But you wont need it. ( much )

It is essnetial to grasp the fact that you tube is not HD. HD needs a bit rate of 20 + Mbit/sec.

You tube is between 1.5 and 2mbit - YouTube now supports high definition video - Page 2 - The Digital Video Information Network

This agrees with the results of my test. The 3 mbit file looks the same as the 6mbit.

As I said in the sticky - u load everything at 720 with a bit rate of 3mbit.

I am so pleased at the change - it may not be HD but it is better than digital TV .
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Blog Entries

It's a shame that uploading a copy of a previously u loaded film in ' hd ' means losing the older copies info and hits. I dont think there is a way round this.

It looks so much better I want to re upload everything !

5. Default

it is now 1gb upload limit. the quality is much better but i still do not like youtube, if any music is playing on the video in the background or intentional they remove it for copyright infringement.

Blog Entries

Interestingly I havent had anything removed for that reason - lots of others - but on a few of my pages I was givien the option of accepting ads and keeping the video up. This maybe cos I rarely use current hits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    So - I reccomend that people upload everything as a 720p 3mbit wmv. It really is that simple. You tube streams ' HD ' at about 2mbit/sec so there is no point in uploading files at a vastly higher bit rate.
    And what about DV as a source?

Blog Entries

Good question.

Everything will look better so long as it isnt a phone cam.

Good SD DV is often better than average HDV, and taking into account the un hd bit rate of 2mbit of you tube hd streams everything will look better.

Compare test tube 2 with 3. Both sd dv ( pro dv) originals.

Blog Entries

Check the difference - same DV originals.

This is a video that you tube will struggle with, but it looks acceptable in ' hd ' .

YouTube - Bristol Zombie walk - high energy edit.

YouTube - Bristol Zombie Walk. High energy edit (HD)

Mark, thanks for this info and tests, this is becoming a constant question via my other video friends on youtube.

Its a huge viewing area, and I can see this as being the next big step for youtube, if you think back to the origional viewing area it was so small.

I will send a link of this info to those who need to know.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast