Thread: My first post; A video and advice

Default My first post; A video and advice

Hi there,

new to the forum here and looking for some opinions advice on my work. I'm just an amateur with a simple cheap Sony Mini DVD and some cheap software.

My lastest video is this one, shot, starring, directed and edited by myself.

I'm aware that my picture quality isn't the best, but will accept all kinds of punishment/opinions. I'm really hoping to learn something here.

Cheers!
    RDO

Good job over all I thought. Some things I noticed for improvement, In the shot of you standing on bridge, your head was not fully in frame, I usualy try and keep the top of the frame just above or right at the top of the head. I would also add some slow zoom in or out effects on some of the longer static shots. Also, the transistions seemed inconsistant, I think if you put some faster fades in a few of the transitions that have no efect you would get a more fluid feel. One last thing is the timing of the transistions could be more in time with the music, you can achieve more of rythym even with the slow sad music, just keep the trasitions more in time with the cord changes I think and you would get a better melding between the music and visuals. I dont know what editing program your using but most all of them come with zoom effects that you can slow down to give some of the transitions and static shots more feel. Just my opinion though. Still good job over all I thought.
    Ryan AKA rgander1 AKA "the videobloggoligist"

Blog Entries

I really liked that.

Some of the static shots were a bit trembly - get yourself a better tripod or get one if you were imporivising - I suspect you were.

Lots of the shots were very nicely composed. I think you have achieved your aim well. It all worked for me.

The dude needs a haircut

Don't worry about your hair Dude. Mark is just jelous
    Ryan AKA rgander1 AKA "the videobloggoligist"

Blog Entries

Nice idea which in the main worked very well.
    My only concern is that you're fading in and out of the picture became somewhat repetitive and predictable. I don't have any suggestion as to how to overcome that apart from maybe do it less frequently.
    Nice attempt with the footprints!
    Tim

Thank you very much gentlemen, I appreciate all your comments.

I did go out and buy a new very hefty tripod after this video, so the shaking should be fixed.

I'm hoping to improve camera placement and framing by taking a photography class soon.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries

I look forward to more from you.

I tht you handled the medium of video well. Creatively and with thought.