Thread: Zoom and Pan duration?/Vegas Pro 8

1. Default Zoom and Pan duration?/Vegas Pro 8

Hi to all, big time newbie on the board who is dying to get started, but needs some help.

I am hunting for a new video program and Vegas Pro 8 is one of the front runners at the moment.

I am interested in specific features and need to know if Vegas can perform these functions.

I believe what I'm looking for is zoom/pan feature.

I will try to explain as best as I can. What I'm looking to do is take video from a movie, extend it, then zoom it in slowly for a specific amount of time.

The movie in it's current form does not zoom at all, it cuts right to the next scene. I want to place a loop on it to extend the scene a bit longer, then include a zoom effect on it. I need the zoom to proceed slowly and want to be able to hold this slow zoom for a specific duration of time (maybe 10 seconds) I guess this is zoom/pan feature?

Does anybody know if Sony Vegas Pro can do this?

Blog Entries

Vegas will handle either looping a clip or stretching it (so it goes slo-mo) to fill in a longer time no problem. (up to 3x in Movie Studio or 12 x in Pro - though you can always render out and then re-do to get even greater slowing down (or speeding up)

I'm not clear what you mean by "zooming" from the description above.
    What I understand by zooming is stretching the image so that a smaller part of the whole image fills the frame (eg your clip is a full shot of a person and you want to slowly zoom in so that just the face is seen). If that's what you mean, then - yes, Sony Vegas Pro can do that.
    So can Vegas Movie Studio.
    And just about every other editing program.

But note - any zooming in on media will result in a quality loss as you're spreading your pixels over a wider area. This applies to all programs.

Maybe I didn't understand correctly.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Vegas will handle either looping a clip or stretching it (so it goes slo-mo) to fill in a longer time no problem. (up to 3x in Movie Studio or 12 x in Pro - though you can always render out and then re-do to get even greater slowing down (or speeding up)

I'm not clear what you mean by "zooming" from the description above.
    What I understand by zooming is stretching the image so that a smaller part of the whole image fills the frame (eg your clip is a full shot of a person and you want to slowly zoom in so that just the face is seen). If that's what you mean, then - yes, Sony Vegas Pro can do that.
    So can Vegas Movie Studio.
    And just about every other editing program.

But note - any zooming in on media will result in a quality loss as you're spreading your pixels over a wider area. This applies to all programs.

Maybe I didn't understand correctly.

No, you got it right.

Regarding "zooming," the description you gave on going from a full shot of a person to slowly zooming in on the face is exactly what I would like to accomplish.

I'm glad that both programs can perform a "slow zoom" but I'm not sure I understood your answer fully on one of the features, (the time duration on zoom.) Could you tell me if the zoom feature has controls for time duration?

I would like to zoom in on a person's face, but I want the be able to set the zoom to occur over a time duration of my choice (say 10 seconds)

Do you know if Vegas Pro or Movie Studio can perform this action?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Any decnet editor can do this.

I am suprised that you are considering pro as a noob - a brave purchase. I thnik the vastly cheaper will do all you need.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Any decnet editor can do this.

I am suprised that you are considering pro as a noob - a brave purchase. I thnik the vastly cheaper will do all you need.
    I would not mind purchasing Movie Studio Platinum Pro, but one of the reasons i'm leaning towards Vegas Pro, and maybe you can help me to understand this, is due to the limitations on the number of video tracks allowed in Movie Studio Plat Pro (only allows 4) Vegas Pro, (unlimited)

I hope I don't sound like a total idiot on this one, but I'm trying to learn from ground up. Is each portion of video I insert into the project for editing considered 1 track?, because if it is, then I will easily exceed the limitation of 4 tracks allowed by MSP Pro.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by anxious-to-edit View Post
    Is each portion of video I insert into the project for editing considered 1 track?
    No.

. . because if it is, then I will easily exceed the limitation of 4 tracks allowed by MSP Pro.
    Yes

Blog Entries

I hope I don't sound like a total idiot on this one, but I'm trying to learn from ground up.
    You don't sound like an idiot. You sound like a noob.

If you're anything like me, you don't want to invest hours and hours learning something that you might well not end up purchasing

...SO...

I strongly urge you to download the 30 day free and fully functional version of Vegas Movies Studio (from Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack - that's the Platinum Pro Pack - the other versions are available) then run the Interactive Tutorials available from the Help Menu.

This will give you a very quick grounding and understanding of how Vegas works, and you'll be able to tell very quickly whether it'll do the job you want (which I already know it will)

In fact, I believe Vegas shouldn't allow users to proceed into the software without first going through these tutorials - in the same way as it doesn't allow you to install the software without agreeing to the T&Cs of the licence.

It would save a lot of repeat posts
    Tim

Blog Entries

Tim - not seen the vidoes but I second that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Tim - not seen the vidoes but I second that.
    They're better than videos - they're hands on and run on top of the real Vegas environment.

You have to (for example) navigate to a clip on your PC and drag it onto your timeline before it'll let you proceed to the next step. It's pretty clever.
    Tim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You don't sound like an idiot. You sound like a noob.

If you're anything like me, you don't want to invest hours and hours learning something that you might well not end up purchasing

...SO...

I strongly urge you to download the 30 day free and fully functional version of Vegas Movies Studio (from Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack - that's the Platinum Pro Pack - the other versions are available) then run the Interactive Tutorials available from the Help Menu.

This will give you a very quick grounding and understanding of how Vegas works, and you'll be able to tell very quickly whether it'll do the job you want (which I already know it will)

In fact, I believe Vegas shouldn't allow users to proceed into the software without first going through these tutorials - in the same way as it doesn't allow you to install the software without agreeing to the T&Cs of the licence.

It would save a lot of repeat posts
    Sounds great, I will do that.