Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External hard drive

1. Default External hard drive

Can anyone recommend a good, stable and fast external hard drive particularly good for storing video? Looking in the region of 50-100 for anywhere in between 500GB-1TB .. and yes, it's for my Christmas present! :0)

Blog Entries

My expirience of external drives is limited. I think it is far cheaper to buy a drive and an enclosure seperate. Also when i have used an extenrnal drive I found editing via ( correction) USB to be glitchy - I think f wire may be the best way to connect.

As for drive speed - for edting the average through put is only about 4 MByte / sec so any modern drive is way fast enough. Most drives benchmark at 40MByte / sec and more.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-16-2008 at 09:45 AM.

3. Default

I have a few and use 2 mainly for my video editing etc

Seagate i use to store all my videos and edited videos and also store my pics on

Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Pro External Hard Drive - USB / eSATA / Firewire 133.99 - Free Delivery

or

Freecom but i have a small travel one when i go traveling to store them all on.below is the 400gb one but i have the 140gb version

Buy Freecom Mobile Drive Classic 400GB 31267 from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

the external HD work best when you pc/laptop doesnt have a lot on it for example my laptop is a vista home,1.66ghz,2gb memory with 120gb HD and all i have on it is what came with it and 2 video editing programs so this allows the laptop to run alot quicker and also allow my external HD video's to be accessed easier. i also do regular defrag and cleaning on the laptop to keep it up to scratch (i do this once a month)

The worse external HDD i used is maxtor as i started saving video to a 500gb one and after a while it would stop me accessing files but then thats just me someone may say different.

If you do go for one and you find the video glitchy then transfer it on to your PC and then back to the external once done.

hope this helped.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good, stable and fast external hard drive particularly good for storing video? Looking in the region of 50-100 for anywhere in between 500GB-1TB .. and yes, it's for my Christmas present! :0)
    I've just bought a 1tb Maxtor from Dixons for 103. (lower VAT) Works just fine and connects via USB2. Quick enough access using Vegas.

5. Default

Thanks for the useful (if sometimes conflicting - Maxtor yes and no) advice guys! As always most helpful

hello guys,
    I would like to know what brand for external hd you suggest to buy....I mean if is there any one you do think it s work better, and if it is faster to buy an hd that goes with firewire or usb.
    I need to buy one for video editing and I am looking for a fast one
    thanks

Blog Entries

On most systems most drives will be ok. Usb or f wire.

I would personally go for f wire cos it bench marks faster then usb, well it did on my system.

Hi capser,
    thanks for your tips, can I ask you what software do you use to do monthly backup lap to hd?
    I ve a mac osx and looking for an easy way to do back up time by time
    xxx

ok that it is great, so I ll go firewire, can you tell me more or less what specific characteristic I ve to keep an eye on in terms of speed and capacity?
    thanks
    x

Blog Entries

All modern drives are fine for editing. And dont call me Casper. - call me Mark.

As for back ups - just copy your valuable stuff to a second drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast