Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording Wedding Audio

Default Recording Wedding Audio

Ladies and Gentlemen

As many of you may have experienced when family/friends/people find out you have a video camera a bit more fancy than the norm you get requests for favors.

Some family have asked me to film and edit a nice little wedding DVD for them, I said yes as it it means I dont have to buy a wedding present. Ha.

However having no experience of filming such events I suddenly wondered how you pro's get your audio? speechs, vows etc. etc.

I have a mic that attachs to the top of the camera, but I am not confident that I can pick up top notch audio from it unless I stand really close. My other option is my boom pole but I am want to use this as its a wedding and it might be a bit off putting. or is it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated in this matter

We use two wireless mics for the ceremony, one on the groom and one on the person officiating. These mics will usually be enough to pick up the bride without any problems.

For the toasts and announcements, speechs, etc. they usually use a mic connected to some sort of PA system with a sound board that you can plug into. Carry as many kinds of audio adapters and connectors as you can find. You can plug your camcorder directly into an output on the board. This can also be done for the ceremony if they are running sound through an audio board, we connect that output to a second camera for ambient audio as well as the minister if he has his own mic.

Basically, with audio you have to be prepared for anything and everything. Do you know if the ceremony will be in a church or will it be outside? If outside what will you have access to for power if anything? If inside what equipment if any will they be usuing and can you plug into anything to get a feed from them? Do your homework
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Considering you have so little experience and little equipment, especially radio mics which are the staple for wedding audio, I can only suggest you get real close during the ceremony and speeches. A shotgun mic will help a lot as well. Best of luck
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Cheers for the help guys. Food for thought indeed.

I thought about radio mics after posting, dont have a set unfortunately and I think the speeches and service are being done aloud, and not through a P.A system.

I guess I just got to make the best of what I got and get as close as I can without getting in peoples way. Or in front of the photographer! ha

Blog Entries

Photographers - can be like highly strung pit bulls - best to get mates early on and work out a way to work together .

Pit bulls ey? I shall bear that in mind as I guess the photographer will have more on the line - they're paying for him/her.

Is there a tradition of video and photography fall out at weddings? I guess they both are after the same things.

It's a tradition that the B & G will always pay for a photographer but seem to think that anyone with a video camera can film a wedding...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    It's a tradition that the B & G will always pay for a photographer but seem to think that anyone with a video camera can film a wedding...
    It does appear that stills people have more respect than vidders. Curious. Perhaps it is cos we are a nation of mooks when it comes to our appreciation of film in general.

Ha really, I used to be wedding DJ a few years ago (miserable times), I remember once witnessing a photographer swinging for drunk guest after they splashed a pint over his camera.

I would cry if that happened to my camera.

I guess its a much harder business for video folks to get into than your traditional photographer type.

I saw in a post the other day about licenses, as I am filming this as a one off , non payment favor arrangement , do I need any sort of license , permissions ?

Blog Entries

Re your tale above - he must have been a bad one. A cometant pro wouldnt let that happen to his kit and if it did it would be cool as a pro would have insurance - and a pro would never behave in that fashion.

Weddings really do seem to attract the dross. Lots of them just appear to be underskilled money grabbing fools to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast