Thread: Vegas 7

Default Vegas 7

I have Adobe Premiere 6.5 and wonder if an older version of Sony Vegas may be a better option? I have read that Premiere is resource hungry and wonder if Sony Vegas would be a better option.

I have read in various posts that numerous people prefer Vegas - it's just a different way to do things. Whilst I don't need unlimited video tracks, more than two is useful to have and Vegas 7 although not the latest version, would be an upgrade to Premiere 6.5.

I don't need to do anything too fantastical as far as editing is concerned, but the odd 'bell and whistle' would be nice. When I upgraded my PC I put a newer graphics card in to enable better graphics on other applications and this meant the RT2000 card had to come out. Having done this, I have lost all of the Matrox real-time effects which is a nuisance - but not as annoying as the error messages that pop up whenever Premiere loads highlighting various Matrox dll's can't be found.

Any thoughts anyone?

Blog Entries

Why are you considering Vegas 7? Vegas Pro is on V8 and Vegas Movie Studio is on v9 now. Has someone got old stock for a good price?
    No problem either way - just want to make sure you're not being offered an old version as "new".
    Vegas Movie Studio (currently version 9) is the consumer version and will let you have up to four video and four audio tracks.
    The Pro version which is four or five times as expensive, apart from allowing infinite tracks, has lots of additional feature which may or may not be of interest - look at Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 8 - Vegas Family Comparison for comparison.
    You can download and run a full 30 day trial. See how you get on.
    Tim

Yes - cheap.
    That's the only reason I'm considering.
    Otherwise I'll probably stick with Premiere - I must say I prefer scrubbing through the rushes and marking the in and out points. Much easier to my way way of thinking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jemmo View Post
    I must say I prefer scrubbing through the rushes and marking the in and out points. Much easier to my way way of thinking.
    If I understand what you're trying to achieve correctly, you can do that in Vegas using the trimmer:

Open media in trimmer
    Scrub to an "In" point, press "I"
    Scrub to an "Out point" press "O"

You can now add to the timeline ("A") or save as a (named) sub-clip.

Repeat ad nauseum.
    Tim

Thanks for the info Tim.

I must admit I've only been having a bit of a play with a trial version of Vegas and my initial impression is that it looks neater and items such as transitions and effects are easy to hand. I haven't really done any editing as such but armed with this info I will give it a blast.