Thread: Copyright

Default Copyright

Can some one help me out please?

I want to add background music to my DVD but I've been told you can only get licenses (from PPL) to cover VHS - not DVD.

Does anyone know of any way around this or of any alternatives?

Blog Entries

I think someone's reading into this a bit too much. They are probably refering to this part of the Wedding Video-Recording Licence Terms & Conditions issued by the PPL:

The Licence authorises the dubbing of sound recordings issued or to be issued by PPL's members ("PPL Records") for the purpose of dubbing and incorporating sound recordings onto video tapes of family, domestic and private functions in the UK only.
    What is a video tape? If you read point 11

At all times, the Licensee will ensure that the technical standards of video tapes are such as to do full justice to the recordings which have been used.
    So that rules out VHS .

But seriously, It's clarified by the MCPS: Limited Availability Product Terms & Conditions which defines copies as follows:

copies of the LAP in the form of CD, minidisc, music cassette, VHS, DVD, laser disc or any other format expressly agreed by MCPS.

This is a very interesting point.

taken from IOV web site
    http://www.iov.co.uk/showarticle.pl?n=&id=4202&p=1

PPL will not licence videographers to make DVD copies of their work. As this is fast becoming the most common delivery format for wedding videos, it is not possible for videographers to act wholly within the law.
    However, you only require the PPL if you are recording music from a private function and dubbing it to the video (e.g. music being played by a DJ).

If you are only dubbing the music to the video from a recorded source then you only require the MCPS Limited Availability Product Licence (LAPL).
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

It is all very confusing!

IOV say...

"If you are recording only music that is peformed live (a band or choir etc), you will only need a MCPS 'LAPL' licence. If you are recording or dubbing music from a copyrighted music recording, you will also require a PPL 'PFVD' Licence."

The later would apply to say a wedding video where music is dubbed at post production. And PPL say that they only cover VHS not DVD so basically it's cac. This was my original point.

Argggggh!!!!

I think "Arghhhhh" sums it up quite nicely.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

As it seems there's no way for a wedding videographer to do things entirely legally I think I'll hold a few to ransom. Half a dozen should yield results enough for a new camera don't you think?