Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6 - released

Default Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6 - released

So, it's finally been released - except of course in Europe where Pinnacle claim their European counterparts are struggling to update the web site (wtf does that mean?).

Actually, it's a sad fact of life as a Pinnacle owner anywhere in the World other than the US that you are often left without information or dates as to when you will see software updates or releases. This happened the last time when the product was upgraded from Edition 5 to Liquid Edition (5.5).

We haven't even had the prices confirmed for Europe yet! Watch this space on that one too!!!
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Lloyd,

I haven’t boned up on the Liquid Edition so I have a few basic comparison questions for you.

1. Why would I want to spend $600 to $800 US on Liquid? Is it really that good? I mean I have Studio 9 now.

2. How difficult is Liquid to learn? Is it any harder to learn than Studio 9 was?

3. I plan on putting together a new computer here real soon, so if you where in my shoes what would you want in the new computer to make life easier?

4. I started with Studio 7 Deluxe two years ago. That gave me the blue box and all the hardware I needed to start with. When I bought Studio 9 I didn’t need to buy the deluxe package because the Studio 7 stuff transferred. So now if I go with Liquid Edition 6 will I want to buy a deluxe package? Do they even make a deluxe package? Or do I use a third party fire wire type of thing?

Thanks Lloyd,
    Dave B

Before I answer your questions can you just fill me in on a few points:

1) Will you want to capture analogue sources?
    2) Will you want to capture and edit HDV?
    3) Do you want RT preview output to TV (remember that you can have preview output to a TV through your firewire if you are prepared to wait for everything to be rendered first, the question is if you want that output before rendering)
    4) Is Studio 9 starting to hold you back? If so, in what areas specifically are you being restricted (or is it just generally a feeling of wanting to step up a level)?

This will help me give you an honest, but personal, appraisal of your upgrade path
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Ohhhhh good questions.

1. I currently have analogue sources but see the need in the near future to be able to capture digital as well.

2. By HDV do you mean High Definition Video? If so then yes I will need this soon also.

3. I would love to have RT preview. I don’t have that with Studio 9 and it bums me out.

4. Studio 9 is not holding me back at the moment. Honestly I want to upgrade due to the special effects I can do with Liquid. However, the new business I’m starting, (outdoor advertising), will need a better program for commercial type adds on small monitors. 9 would work fine for what I need, but I think Liquid would do a much better job.

5. Does Liquid do the DVD menus as well?
    Dave B

Okay, should you decide to upgrade to LE 6 then you will definitely need to go for the Pro option to allow you to continue capturing your analogue sources (and to be able to capture uncompressed HDV at a later date when you need to). LE 6 Pro comes with BoB which permits all this plus allowing you to preview directly to a monitor even while rendering.

If you seriously plan on editing HDV then you will need quite a meaty system at some point. A well-specced PC (3.0 GHz, 1GB RAM 2x 160GB HDD) will suffice for editing 720p (up to around 5 layers), but you need to be looking at a dual processor high-end P4 with oodles of disk space to edit 1080i.

If you already have a system capable of editing DV adequately then LE will make this a blast. LE's performance is superb, as is it's stability and fact that it's almost impossible to lose any work due to the InstaSave feature.

LE does support DVD authoring directly from the timeline and comes with over 40 templates. Infact in the package you get:

Liquid Edition 6 Software CD

* Liquid Edition 6 software
    * Liquid Edition Start-up project
    * Pinnacle Hollywood FX™ Plus RT
    * Pinnacle TitleDeko™ RT
    * 40+ DVD templates
    * 1,000+ real-time effects and presets
    * Liquid Edition Reference Manual on CD

You can also import your Studio projects directly into LE 6 as well as all Studio plug-ins!

With regards the learning curve. Yes it is naturally steeper than Studio's learning curve. However, it's enjoyable and the more you learn the more you realise the power and extensive versatility behind the software.

I can't say whether upgrading is the right choice for you, but I can say that if you did - you wouldn't regret it

Oh, and the Pro BoB looks really sexy - that's the clincher
    Lloyd

 LE 6 Pro comes with BoB which permits all this plus allowing you to preview directly to a monitor even while rendering.
    Is BoB for dual monitors or does BoB do something else but likes dual monitors. Reason for asking is…I had planned on upgrading my puter to dual monitors anyway. With LE Pro do I need a 3rd party hardware for the dual monitor thing?

 If you seriously plan on editing HDV then you will need quite a meaty system at some point.
    I planned on building a powerful/fast system with lots of memory anyway so this all works out I guess.

 but you need to be looking at a dual processor high-end P4 with oodles of disk space to edit 1080i.
    What do you mean by “to edit 1080i”?
    What do you mean by DHV?

 You can also import your Studio projects directly into LE 6 as well as all Studio plug-ins!
    What do you mean by plug-ins?

 Oh, and the Pro BoB looks really sexy - that's the clincher
    What is Pro BoB and why is it sexy?
    Dave B

Blog Entries

*cough* Adobe Premiere *cough, cough*

The BoB (Breakout Box) is your I/O device. You can see it here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/productpa...&division_id=2

HDV is High Definition Video and is some way off in the UK from being anything useful (simply because people don't have the TV's to display it). It comes in various formats 720p and 1080i are two of them (the 720 and 1080 refer to the vertical resolution and the p is for progressive and i for interlaced). There are a few threads on HDV kicking around these forums.

All you will need to run two displays is a dual head video card. I run two displays with LE against my GeForce FX5900.

Plug-ins are small applets which you can "plug in" to your software to extend its features and functionality. These can be free or commercial. If you are using any for Studio then you can port them directly into LE.

One thing you should be aware of is that Smartsound is not supported yet in LE.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    *cough* Adobe Premiere *cough, cough*
    Through all your coughing I didn't quite catch the reasons why?
    Lloyd

Blog Entries

jOIn Us oR dIE

apparently

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast