Thread: Blue-Ray writting

Default Blue-Ray writting

All,

Im just wondering about the groups thoughts on burning projects to Blue Ray disk?
    Has anyone done it yet?
    What are the best writters?
    What's the quality like over normal DVD? (Although i know it is better when i watch a movie in Blue Ray i mean is there a marked HUGE difference on your own projects)
    Has anyone tried the following:
    Burning a NON HD project to a Blue Ray disk to ensure that the quality settings in Encore (Or which ever authoring application you use) are at the highest?

I ask guys as i am told that a normal 20 minute video project, which would be bound for a DVD, would look a whole lot better if the settings (Bitrate ect were maxed out and burnt onto a Blue Ray disk..

Whats the groups thoughts on this?

Also, having never had to deal with Blue Ray before (Apart from nipping down Woolies and getting a bargain) are there any massive differences?

Cheers guys.

Mitch

Blog Entries

...... normal 20 minute video project, which would be bound for a DVD, would look a whole lot better if the settings .....

Not treid that but it makes sense, but only if the original is good quality. SD DV is 25mbit / sec, SD DVD is 6mbit/sec so ( good) sd DV on blu ray will be far better then DV.

If I play a 25mbit SD DV video direct to my projector it looks ' hi def ' compared to the dvd - ( actually better than a comsumer hdv cam - but that is from a pro DV cam)

I will prob get a burner for that reason befor a HD ( not HDV) camera.

But with meia at 5 quid a pop that wont be for some time.

It is not the format of raw video that matters, but the quality. This isnt the same thing.

Cheers Mark,

The video that i have is basically a slideshow that will run for 20 mins and then replay.

The quality of it is great and when i play it via my projector via the computer it looks very good, a lot better than once i have burnt it to DVD and played it through the projector using the DVD player.

I have done a small test (Not much to do today) and a still picture taken with a stills SLR looks absolutely fantastic over the projector from my computer, but looks grainy when i pop it onto a DVD as the "First play" (Menu if you like) and play it over the projector via a DVD player.

Im thinking that good video will look a hell of a lot better on a blue ray disk than on a DVD disk! I hope so as i pride myself on quality and if i can give better quality then im all for it.

Now Hi Def is a seperate issue here i know, but does anyone know of a visual comparison on the net i can look at between "HDV" and "DV" clips?

Mitch

Blog Entries

Yes - on the forum somewhere - will look. I endcoded a v high res still into dv and hdv and grabbed stills.

Blog Entries

here we are - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...-hdv-v-dv.html

I am planning a dv /hdv video cam shoot out when i get my life organised - so dont hold your breath.