Thread: Device to back up your SxS & P2 cards on the go

Default Device to back up your SxS & P2 cards on the go

Just found this device while browsing, its one of those gadgets that lets you back up your
    storage cards in the field, only this one is for the SxS and P2 cards, so will save you taking that laptop with you and save buying all those expensive cards

http://www.nextodi.com/en/product/ND2725_en.html

Here is the UK site but the device or price is not on the site
    http://www.nextodi.co.uk/index-3d.html

Blog Entries

Progress anit always progress. My main camera has a built in back up device- its a revoloutionary medium called tape. I can do 4.5 hours on one proper size dv tape....

I would differ there Mark, the tape is not a backup device, per say, it is a recording medium, if you copied that tape then you would have a backup.

And I may be on dodgy grounds now, but tape is not a device, as on its own it does not do anything, with the help of an external piece of equipment.

I personally would like to invest in XDCAM for the convenience in recording and capture, would also be nice if it had the option to make DVDs on the fly, when you get home your work is done...

Blog Entries

Pedant

I would argue that tape is sooo secure it is it's own back up. But that dont include the one i broke a few weeks back - but that was on long term test to destruction. One tape - 4 years of repeated use - not bad going.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Pedant

I would argue that tape is sooo secure it is it's own back up.
    Just to be even more pedantic...

Tape is a medium
    In or out of your camera it is a MASTER
    A COPY of that tape would be a backup (eg once you've captured it onto your hard drive one or other is a backup)

I face this often in my real life as an IT consultant.
    A customer might say "My hard disk's failed but I've got a backup".
    My answer is "No you haven't, you've got one, and only one, master"

Start thinking like that and even if you don't take more than one copy of any important data/footage, at least you'll be aware of the significance.

My view of tape is NOT that it is its own BACKUP, rather it is its own ARCHIVE.

Enough pedantry from me for now, I think
    Tim

Blog Entries

I bow in humble servitude to your greater knowledge and now I wish I hadnt made my first flippant remark

Listen to them not me !

( but i still think tape rules )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

( but i still think tape rules )
    I'm sure you're right. Irrespective of whether it's a backup, a master or an archive, if I could only have ONE copy I'd much rather trust that to tape.
    Tim

Thumbs up portable solution to back up your sxs & red cf

I saw ND-2725 at BVE 2009 expo and bought 320GB model from UK dealer page, http://nextodi.co.uk @395 plus vat.
    These are average Back-up times I've tested with EX3 & RED cf/drive;
    EX3 (8GB SxS Card inside of slot 1) to ND2725 via USB-OTG takes 10 min 21 sec.
    nextodi.co.uk informed me about new way of workarounds to cut it nearly half times. if you have sony sxs card reader (which I don't), then you can connect it directly to nd2725 and it would takes 5min 4sec for a 8GB sxs (i haven't tested this workaround yet).
    8GB RED CF Card to ND2725 via built-in cf slot takes 4min 35sec.
    8GB RED Drive to ND2725 takes 4min 12sec.

I use eSata adapter to connect nd2725 to my MBP via express card slot. nd2725 has eSata and USB2 ports. never used eSata before, so bought eSata express card adapter from http://usbnow.co.uk at 18.

my friend asked me whether nd2725 can handle AVCHD media typed sdhc card. what I can tell, nd2725 has two built-in card reader ( I haven't tested all different card types) and it has a sd/sdhc built-in reader, so avchd media should be ok. to test whether nd2725 will handle any media type, I dumped mp3 & jpg into a cf card and tried backup. it works fine.
    if you're looking to buy portable backup solution for sxs or red cf, nd2725 is worth to be looked at.
    Last edited by ppixels; 02-26-2009 at 03:30 AM.