Thread: Technical Effect

Question Technical Effect

Hey All,

I've been watching a few of the "Sprint Cuts" videos on YouTube, and have been wondering how they pulled off a particular effect:

Here's the first:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x6faDt5trSE&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Sprintcuts: Fast-Pour Ketchup[/ame]

I'm talking in particular about the effects toward the end of the video, particularly the 45 degree angle and "right" "wrong" bits.

This also illustrates the same thing, though the effect seems more complex in this one:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2thiHahGDc4]YouTube - Sprintcuts: Turbo Parking[/ame]

Any ideas on where I can start off with this? I have a very basic familiarity with both Vegas and Premiere Pro (from editing media videos at school). Thanks!

Anyone? I was thinking it was perhaps something done in Flash, anyone know for sure?

I watched both that first clip and never saw any 45 degress angle bit. What are you referring to? Do you mean the graphic overlay? if so easy as pie....

Create simple line drawing graphicv using your favourite image editor.
    Open After Effects.
    Drop in footage and drop in graphic as a second layer.
    Motion track something obvious in the first layer. i.e. where you want the graphic to be.
    Create null layer. Apply moption trackling data to it as X and Y position.
    Parent graphic layer to NULL layer.
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    I watched both that first clip and never saw any 45 degress angle bit. What are you referring to? Do you mean the graphic overlay? if so easy as pie....

Create simple line drawing graphicv using your favourite image editor.
    Open After Effects.
    Drop in footage and drop in graphic as a second layer.
    Motion track something obvious in the first layer. i.e. where you want the graphic to be.
    Create null layer. Apply moption trackling data to it as X and Y position.
    Parent graphic layer to NULL layer.
    Done.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I got my degrees rong, it was 30 not 45. But essentially yes the graphic overlays, including the 'right' 'wrong' signs on the side.

So with the method you mentioned, would I be able to get the kind of 'animated' effect where the the graphic overlays are actually animated/drawn in/out? There are more of the effects in the second video to illustrate this point.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, is it possible to do this in Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Studio? As I might have access to that through school. Thanks.

never seen or used Final Cut Pro or Studio. I do my motion graphics stuff in After Effects so tend to quote that.

Animating the graphics is a seperate task. not sure how the best way to do that would be. Could do it in AE but just not convinced it's the BEST way.

Thanks for the info, will look into it. Cheers.