Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed

1. Default Help needed

Hi people, i'm new here and i'd like some help.

I made a short movie with my mini dv camcorder but i don't have the right things to connect my camcorder straight to the PC so what i did was connect my camcorder to a dvd recorder and copy the video onto a dvd.

Now when i open the dvd on a PC the video file comes out in pieces instead of one file. Does anyone know how i can connect it into one file.

I tried using windows movie maker and put the files in order in the storyboard and tried to play it together but what happens is that there's a slight pause between each file which i don't want.

Can someone help please?

Hi you could try a free trail version of MPEG editor and DVD editor - Womble Multimedia, Inc.
    or Corel Video Studio Pro X2 I see it's on special on at the moment US$50,
    it to has a free trail period. both these programs have authoring built in.

Quote Originally Posted by hereiam View Post
    Hi people, i'm new here and i'd like some help.

I made a short movie with my mini dv camcorder but i don't have the right things to connect my camcorder straight to the PC so what i did was connect my camcorder to a dvd recorder and copy the video onto a dvd.

Now when i open the dvd on a PC the video file comes out in pieces instead of one file. Does anyone know how i can connect it into one file.

I tried using windows movie maker and put the files in order in the storyboard and tried to play it together but what happens is that there's a slight pause between each file which i don't want.

Can someone help please?
    I'm afraid to tell you that you are compounding one problem with an even bigger one by the route you are taking at the moment.

you have a mini Dv camcorder then you should transfer the video to your PC in the correct way. This is via a firewire cable. Save yourself loads of grief and get yourself a firewire cable for a couple of pounds (UK). if you do not have a firewire port in your PC then buy yourself a PCI firewire card for a few pounds also.

If you live close enough I'll even let you have a firewire card. I think I've still got one (or two) kicking around somewhere I'll probably never use again.

To recap, miniDV footage should ONLY be transferred by firewire. Anythign else is just wrong in my opinion.

Hi, you didn't say if you used DV in on your DVD recorder, if it doesn't have DV in you are losing a lot of definition, and really the only way to go is with Alans solution. but if it does have DV in then as long as you use it's HQ or SD setting and an editing program that does smart render, that's when it does a stream copy of the parts of your video that have no alterations to them, like title overlays and the like, then you are fine.

5. Default

Dv in? Well, i used the av cable (red, white and yellow) to connect to the dvd recorder, then i pressed play on the camcorder and pressed record on the dvd recorder. The quality didn't seem to change much. It was still almost the same as the original.

As for the firewire cable, where would i stick that into on my camcorder? And which one do i need? What program would i need on my PC for it to receive the video?

Blog Entries

Hereiam - read your camcorders manaul or use google, and check your shoes are on the right way round. We are not in the room with you....
    Read wot ALan wrote.

you didn't say what your mini dv camcorder was, but using the av leads is not going to give you the best results, if you can use S-Video that will give you far better results, "dv in" is just another name for what is commonly called firewire, it's the same socket that you would use for connecting to a firewire card in the computer.

I stand by what I said earlier. This conversation is really fast starting to just compound one problem on top of another. I'm really not lying. Transfer to your PC via a firewire cable or be left with 'lesser' footage. It really is that simple!

Think of it like this and you won't be far wrong...

Firewire = DVD quality footage
    Everything Else = VHS quality footage

now decide what quality of footage you really want to watch. The extra h/w, if any, really is only a few pounds and totall easy to install. Takes about a minute and mosty of that is taking the side of the PC case off.

I agree if you don't have a dvd recorder with DV in (firewire), then you only have one choice and that's as you say, I used to use both methods, DV in (firewire) into a Pioneer DVD recorder to make the mpg (VOB) in real time, a quick edit on Womble and authored and burnt in half the time it would taken me using firewire into my computer, even using Cinemacraft plug in on Premiere 6, the results weren't that much better, but for serious editing then there really is only one way and that is firewire into a computer.

10. Default

My instruction booklet doesn't tell me what type of firewire I need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast