Thread: What to upgrade to iron out editing niggles?

Default What to upgrade to iron out editing niggles?

Hi all,

Thank you for this forum: perfectly named for my needs.

I am looking to upgrade my PC to facilitate video and audio editing, so my thinking was if I ask now about the best stuff I should be looking for, when it comes to forking out the cash in a couple of months, I'll have a list of things to look at, and hopefully they will be a bit cheaper then than now.

Perhaps if I detail my computer's specs and say what I want "ironing out" with the upgrade it will be easier to advise.

Computer specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
    2.20 GHz, 1.00GB RAM
    x2 200GB SATA harddrives, 8MB cache plus 500GB external harddrive
    Graphics card: 256MB Geforce FX5500 AGP x DDR 128-bit

The issues I would like resolving with the upgrade:
    When I edit in After Effects or move the CTI along an event on the timeline, it takes a while to see it in the preview window. This is even without effects added. In tutorials I've seen the preview window updates in real time. On my computer it's slooooow.

Using Sony Vegas... the same problem but not quite so often. With effects applied though, or previewing in Best (Full) mode it's choppy. The render times are staggeringly slow as well - something I desperately want to change.

Audio editing:
    VSTs are a notable memory hog, to be expected, but I would like to boost memory and speed as much as possible anyway.

I don't play games so don't need to consider that. Basically I just want a very fast and stable editing system.

So what would be the best bet? How out of date is my computer, what do I need to upgrade, and to what?

More RAM is obvious but which type? My processor takes DDR not DDR2 (and is there a newer type coming out soon? Should I wait?) so a new processor seems more than likely...? Or would just more DDR RAM work? I was hoping to get 8GB RAM but 32-bit systems only use half, so would 4 DDR RAM be OK? Bit confusing to choose at the moment.

Recommendations would be very much appreciated. Oh, my budget... well, as little as possible but I'll stretch to whatever it takes (within reason) to get what I want. I don't intend to upgrade further for years to come so want to get things just right. I edit with standard definition, though would like my computer to be able to easily edit HD if it ever comes to it.

Thank you for reading.

Blog Entries

Ram wont make much difference.

To get a real improvement you wlll need new mbo / cpu. I went from a slightly slower athlon than yours to a 2.16 ghz core duo and I expected 2 times more perf - it was more like 5x !

Choppy preview is inevtiable in vegas as you pile on tracks / fx. I edit in draft mode and flick to best for quick checks and I find ' ram preview' in tools is a boon too.

Preview is much better if you ensure that project and media settings are the same. Forget previwing anything with motion blur.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the response.

5 times the performance sounds very encouraging!

Would it be possible to recommend a good motherboard for editing? OK, showing my lack of knowledge here: are the firewire and USB sockets part of the m/board? I won't have to replace them will I?

What would be a very good processor? I've been thinking about the Quad Cores (heard they really help with rendering). I want this upgrade to last me for years so I don't mind going for the best available (or knowing the best available and taking it down a notch, for price) that will give me a superfast and powerful system, up to the demands of VST effects and a lot faster video rendering, etc.

Are there any incompatibility issues I should be thinking of too? Is my graphics card OK or should I upgrade that too?

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Gfx card is pretty much irrlelveant so long as it is dx9 ( on the box) or better.

As for q core - check your s ware supports 4 cores, if so go for quad.

Bragains are to be had as the current q cores are about to be superceeded by the new i7 chips.

I saw a fast q core with a huge cache on overclockers for sensible money last week.

Components Processors - Overclockers UK

I suspect those are the best perf per at present.

USB and is included on nearly all mobos.