Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wedding tips from the pros

1. Default wedding tips from the pros

Hi all

my sister will be having her wedding in april and i said i would do the video for her know as this is my first one im filming and as its my sisters i would like to do a really good one. In my equipment i have

Canon hv20
    Tripod
    and use Coral videostudio pro x2 on pc (i use to use windows movie maker)

but what i want to know from the pro's are what are the best tips on filming i.e. angels etc and also would you suggest any extra equipment i.e. second camcorder for differant view, microphone on top of camcorder, different software etc

all ideas and tips are welcome and would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Always pays to have a read of other threads before asking. THIS one fits the bill I think....

Blog Entries

Ask for tips from the pros and it is likely your video will look dull and formulaic - like James Cameron on LSD was in charge.

Personally I have serious issues with the crap ' most ' videographers produce.

My suggestion is do it your way. Make it something quirky and different - something people might enjoy watching in a few years.

I did my siters as a bit of a piss take and she loved it - and I know for a fact she hates Titanic so the usual would have dissapointed her.

A gun mic on the camera would be good for getting vows and stuff - but if you are close to the action it will be ok - dont forget to place yourself well -people expect cam operaotors to be all over the place.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/bidwedall1.wmv

I am sure many paying customers would go crazy with a look like that - but most people are idiots in my book.

That video was shot all h held on a 100 quid s/h dv sd camera with no extra equipment. I was also giving my sister away so had lots of other stuff to do.

Blog Entries

The counter argument to Mark is of course that most people only ever get one 'pro' video of themselves once in a lifetime. Therefore they are likely to want soft focus, steadicam shots, close ups of champagne glasses et all. They want to be seen at the very best they can be made to be. They want the video to communicate what the still photographer cannot. The glitz, the glamour, the sound. Is that wrong? Not in my opinion.

The thing is, I think my choice would be the formulaic video Mark derides. Sure it's over the top, but so is the cake, the hairdos, the cars, the outfits and so on. I mean, who wears a bloody morning suit on any other day than their wedding day? (I didn't but so many do).

I really think that Mark is wrong on this one.

Now I'm off to hide behind the bike sheds and wait for his gang of heavies to come and beat me up.

EDIT - Has anyone noticed you never see Mark or his sister in a room at the same time? .....
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 12-10-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Lols - You can tell it's not me honest - she has all gold teeth - mine are english.

I rail against the lack of creativity and I maintain that ' most ' wedding videos are unwatchable unpersonal unmemorable crap !

For me the key words should be personal and creative - each w vid should reflect the personality and character of the participants, not of James Cameron. But I appreciate it aint the fault of the person with the cam - it's the hopless wingeings of the happy couple who think titanic ( titanic being a metaphor for hollywood pap) is the be all and end all of filmmaking who are mostly to blame - the customer is always right ? ? ? ? ? Yea right - like you tell the man at the garage how to adjust your oily clunky bits - no of course you dont.

( can you tell i have never been married, and for the record I love titanic. )
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-10-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Oddly, I quite like Mark's off the wall video. But that's not to say that I either agree with him or would have one myself.... other than perhaps as a second disc 'extras' version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ...can you tell i have never been married...
    Yes.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 12-10-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Sour grapes is a great creative motivatotional tool. lols.

Hi Casper - As we produce wedding videos full time, year round and have done for 12 years, I guess I can genuinely help.
    Most weddings have a structure due to Church/reception timetables which the clients will have chosen. Your job on the day, if you're to have continuity rather than blitzed, random moments joined together with flying hearts, is to anticipate the moves and film them in the style of your choice.
    Ideally the cam should be colour balanced and locked for each situation and you'll hopefully having some control of the iris to avoid silhouetes against bright windows. If you have no seperate mics, get as close as you can without comromising your style, especially during the ceremony and speeches. Film from different viewpoints to create the illusion of more cameras if you only have one - but not during the ceremony/speeches, as these need good sound and the sound of shins shattering against fonts and wedding cake stands, aint one of them.

Styles? If you want to be the typical 'Im a starving artist' go for the wackiest angles you want. Miss as much of the action as you want while you have a beer or two - you can always bang a wacky effect in there to cover the missed vows and confetti shots - Trouble is, you won't make much money and you'll probably end up a bitter, middle aged man who still lives at home with his mam and the only upgrades you'll ever get will be other peoples cast offs.
    Having filmed in every style in the book over 12 years Really 'off the wall' wedding videos don't sell and certainly don't pay many bills.
    Take a look down your high street - How many Goths, goofballs and free radicals do you see? Take it fom me, very few and most of those with 'real' street cred will have middle class parents who will fund the big day.
    If this is a one off, enjoy it and do your best.
    If you intend pursuing it as a career, think very carefully about establishing a sellable style. Crap never, ever sells for long. Even if it's sugar coated.
    Pick your weapons! - Your choice.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

100% great advice from Zero. Listen to what he says - he does it for a living!

I,ve been filming weddinsg for 20 odd years and I still can't get it right, what hope is there for poor old Casper.

Look at other videogrpahers iste sand see what they have done and go for it.
    Remember good audio is a crucial part of a good picture, if not more sometimes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast