Thread: JVC GZHD5 - Should I buy it?

1. Default JVC GZHD5 - Should I buy it?

Hello there guys..

I dont know much about video camera therefor im asking for your help.
    I love shooting footage and now in christmas time the prices are really good..
    this is what the camera has:

Capture the best images of your life with this JVC HD camcorder. Video camera has a full 1920x1080 HDD. Camera has FUJINON HD lenses. 3CCD chip set for great color reproduction. 60GB HDD and 1080/60P output. 7 inches wide x 9 inches deep x 6 inches high
    Anyone with thoughts??

Blog Entries

" Capture the best images of your life " - oh barrrffff.

In a word no.

Its a hard drive camera - avoid. Compressed footage and hard to edit. Tape is far superioir.

Also cheap HDV ( AVCHD in this case)badged cameras cannot expolit the theoretical res of the format. It wont look like HDV, but it will be a pain to edit still.

Sepnd mre if you want HDV and get tape.

What are you using now ?

3. Default

Im currently using a Panasonic NV-GS180

Blog Entries

Befor we all got pixel anxiety that was one of the best consumer dv cams going - mic socket and everything.

I would strongly encourage you to try any camera you are considering - you may be suprised at how well your cam performes in comparison to ' cheap ' AVCHD / HDV.

5. Default

I was looking at the hdr hc9 or the hdr cx11.

hc9 tape 1080,
    cx11 to memory duo

i edit sports movies and want the best results, currently using the hc3.

what do you think of these? what wud u recomend

Going down the AVCHD path isn't as easy as you might think, first you need a powerful computer at least 3GHz or a dual core 2.2 and preferably an editing program with smart proxy editing ( I use Corel Video Studio Pro X2 ) then you have to out put it to your wide screen TV using hdmi if you want to keep the quality, and in New Zealand were I live there are only a few options, from the camera, and that's fraught with problems, or using a blue-ray player, PlayStation 3 has very jerky playback from it's hard drive if you are using PAL 25fps, the best I have found is a MediaGate MG-450HD even with this you will need to convert the video to mpeg2 at 25000kbps 1920x1080 as it wont play AVCHD there are other players that will, one is called "popcorn hour" but I have no experience of them, I will say this that played from the MediaGate MG-450HD the results are spectacular. one other thing it's not a forgiving format and you really need to use a tripod, HD shows up camera shake much more than standard video.
    Bryan
    Last edited by wandering-free; 12-10-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Hi just thought I would point out about the hdr cx11 it claims a max still of 10.2 MP if you check the specs it has a 5MP sensor so is using interpolation, a friend bought the Sony HDRTG1 on the understanding it was 4MP only to find the stills from it were worse than his old 3MP camera on checking the spec. the video camera uses a 2MP sensor so again uses interpolation, so if you buy Sony do check the spec don't take to much notice of the hype, for best results I would always buy a video camera with a sensor that matched the capture resolution then it doesn't have to drop pixels or use cleaver tricks on the image.