Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steadicam, Glidecam, Flowcam - Etc

Blog Entries

Default Steadicam, Glidecam, Flowcam - Etc

Looking for tips really from you other pro's and semi pro's that have any of the above and others. Specifically, anything one should be aware of when purchasing. Any down sides of particular makes / models, any great features too.

Is a single arm enough? Do the double arm rigs make a difference commensurate with the price difference?

Shopping with a budget of 2k, what's the best buy? I am very well aware I can go and try out this kit prior to purchase, but the words of existing users prior to my shopping trip would be very welcome.

Finally - has anyone actually bought one of the cheapo Indian rigs from eBay? I'm not considering one of them but if someone has bought one, I would still be interested in any kind of review.. and how much import tax was levied...

The camera for support is an FX1. Thanks - now, over to you guys.

Blog Entries

As a premanently poor film maker I have discovered that careful camera work really can ape much of what you can do with a stedi rig, but my camera is big and heavy, and I think that helps.

DOnt look so cool tho.

Blog Entries

I know Mark - but my heart is set on one - I have to operate for an hour - hour and a half non stop sometimes.... and I hate duff shots.

Blog Entries

Yea - truth be told I would have one given the funds. I mentioned it cos i have been noticing that stuff we assume is s cam on tv often isnt.

The Indian rigs on ebay are NOT useable out of the box, and often come with erroneous and misaligned machinings, but with a bit of part re-placements (bolts, bearings) and some re-aligning of the aluminum, you can end up with an adequate stabilizer. If you want something that is ready to go, out of the box, stay away. But if you have some technical abilities, and access to some tools, and the abilty to remove/replace some components, then it may be worth it.

Blog Entries

PKbristol has a gcam 4000 - I have used it briefly and it is very well made and works very well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dart View Post
    The Indian rigs on ebay are NOT useable out of the box, and often come with erroneous and misaligned machinings, but with a bit of part re-placements (bolts, bearings) and some re-aligning of the aluminum, you can end up with an adequate stabilizer. If you want something that is ready to go, out of the box, stay away. But if you have some technical abilities, and access to some tools, and the abilty to remove/replace some components, then it may be worth it.
    Pretty much as I thought on that score. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks for that.

I've got a fairly un-used Glidecam 2000...

I bought it in the hope of using it at weddings but it's more hassle than it's worth. It needs a dedicated camera attached to it rather than swapping just the one between hand held, tripod and Glidecam.

I own a gcam 4000. I love it but it does need a bit of practice to get a feel for the movement. I would also recomend investing in the smooth shooter vest to go with it which makes things so much easier. I think I paid just over 1300 for both from Creative Video. Thought it was great value for money.

Editing footage of a music promo at the moment (containing a 30 min continous take with the glide) and the footage is really sweet.

Sheltor is right though about having a dedicated camera for non glidcam work. It can take a while to set the weighting so its a good idea to alternate between 2 camera to save time.

It also makes you look seriously cool (in a film geek way)!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Quote Originally Posted by Fingercuff View Post
    It also makes you look seriously cool (in a film geek way)!
    I'd agree with that!

Fair play though, even simple shots like tracking someone walking down a country lane look amazing.

It's a great piece of kit but sadly mine doesn't make it out as often as I'd like :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast