Thread: Scrolling credits jitteryness

Default Scrolling credits jitteryness

I tried so many different formats and encodes looking for the best quality.. I tried creating uncompressed files at first thinking I would need a 3rd party program to encode it using h.264 since I had to post this video on youtube. Well those files were gigantic and the quality still wasn't that great. I tried .mov with no encode, with 95% jpeg, with animation, uncompressed .avi
    then I learned the mainconcept .mp4 is h.264 encoded but sadly there are not many options to customize that, i was just lucky it had the resolution I wanted

So that format gave me the best quality for such a small size but there weren't options to mess with the framerate or sharpness really which leads me to the issues I need to resolve

if you watch the video you may notice, especially during the end credits, there is an apparent lag or jitteryness
    I've also been requested to raise the volume which I have no idea how to do, and if I could improve the quality a little more it would be nice but I think that issue rests with my sources

I'm just curious if you guys have any suggestions on how to improve the smoothness of the motion and perhaps how to raise the audio

right now all I'm attempting is doing different exports of the credits in different formats but when it comes to the settings I'm clueless
    the WMV format actually performed pretty smooth for the credits so I'm going to try exporting the entire file in that format
    as for the volume, I raised it from 0 db to 3.1db hopefully there isn't much distortion but I'm really unsure which of the audio settings to use under WMV custom settings so any advice for high quality would be appreciated, same for exporting WMV in the highest possible video quality

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by chrisd; 12-07-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Naughty Naughty, I've already pointed you in one direction on your DUPLICATE POST
    EDIT: OK I take it back, I mean your VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL POST
    Tim

Okay I've tried all the suggestions from that post and on the web but I'm still getting complaints about this "jitteryness" and it's driving me nuts
    is there some sort of terrible flicker or lag I'm not noticing? I'm shutting all my resource hogging apps before viewing it

Please let me know if there is some noticeable problem with this scroll that I can fix or if it is something on my clients end
    I've tried adding blur, diff font, diff interlace settings, scrolling over a BG.. how can I get a "non-jittery" scroll?
    I don't know if this is youtubes problem either since he seems to notice it much easier on youtube, here's the latest full version

i saw a couple of really good articles on this but one is a lot more confusing than the other, here is the less jargony one but it still seems confusing when talking about scopes, adding a keyline and adding a pixel of midtone
    http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...tles_phil.html
    Last edited by chrisd; 12-14-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Blog Entries

I think the jitter is down to you tube.

I woundnt ever use 100% white on 100% black - this gives many codecs a fit.

Suggest nkocking both back to 90%. It isnt realy bad tho.

ok here are a couple i've done with around 85% transparency

and i heard blue and yellow was a good match

though my client says these look even worse
    i now have vegas 8 pro also with protype titler and boris fx though im not sure how to use these for credits or if they would help, i've also seen suggestions for multiple tracks

Blog Entries

The blue and yellow is bad after a b/w film.

I dont understnad your concern - you tube is a very low quality way to screen videos and I am pretty certain that the jitter is merely a tube artifact.

If it realy bothers you, why not just use static splash screens ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    The blue and yellow is bad after a b/w film.

I dont understnad your concern - you tube is a very low quality way to screen videos and I am pretty certain that the jitter is merely a tube artifact.

If it realy bothers you, why not just use static splash screens ???
    i'm just trying to confirm whether this is a horrible problem that i'm causing due to incompetence or if its just some natural effect of youtube
    it's not really a personal concern to me but my client is not accepting a complete version until the credits perform well so it does concern me in the way of actually finishing this and getting paid
    I've considered doing a static screen like the classic movies would do but I was requested to do scrolling credits so I was hoping to deliver on that
    My client is now considering testing the video on a library PC but he is also asking me if it scrolls smooth on my pc, to which i replied it does but not until i close a lot of my applications first usually.. this doesn't really do much for the flicker though

i've seen some protype credits on youtube and they don't look much better and i've heard using a photoshop image doesn't really help either so my other two options may be learning how to do titles in boris or see if my client may settle for a static credit screen... who knew getting decent scrolling credits could be so hard though.. the ratio of time spent correcting this problem vs the actual time i spent on the video editing itself is like 4:1

i appreciate the help, thanks
    i'll be presenting a couple of static credit samples to my client if my last attempt at uncompressed doesn't help
    Last edited by chrisd; 12-16-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Can you or your client actually find an example of smooth scolling credits on YouTube or is it a limitation of that vehicle?
    If it's a limitation of YouTube, then you cannot provide on YouTube what your client wants. Nor can anyone else. Show your client the smooth scrolling on a (eg) WMV version.

If you CAN find an example on YouTube, then we need to look further into this.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I find it strange a client insists in you tube for broadcast. What's the deal there?

yeah I'm not sure if youtube has the capability but i understand, it's probably the biggest audience you could gather from a community like that
    if I had some HD footage then maybe it'd be out of the question but I'm working with some pretty vintage stuff here so it shouldn't matter too much.. it's just my credits that are from this century

now I just need a decent style for a static screen.. thinking of keeping the noise bg maybe since it seems vintage, just wondering if we should fit the credits all on 1 static screen or fade through a couple of pages to keep things dynamic while the music rolls, then we could make the font even larger though my client wants to keep the font the same size

I'm glad he's willing to check out the static samples but I just feel dissapointed I couldn't perform unless it's just simply not possible with youtube, otherwise no biggie just a lot of spent time learning about minor details