Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teenagers...

Default Teenagers...

I thought I'd share with you my amazement and pride at my 17 year old daughter. While her old father struggles to come to terms with even the basic functionality of Premiere etc., she has been working on a project for media studies (don't laugh...) at school which she decided would be a mini-documentary on whether ethnic minorities are appropriately represented in soaps. I watched it at the weekend. She has:

a) captured appropriate segments from Corrie, Eastenders and Hollyoaks on VCR, and edited them
    b) done vox pops on an aging analog camcorder - but, in the absence of a decent microphone, recorded the soundtrack separately on my digital camcorder using it just as a mic
    c) superimposed graphs and charts
    d) frozen frames
    e) gone to monochrome for some sequences (think 'If'... )
    f) recorded a commentary and edited it in
    g) put together a sequence where the interviewee can be seen speaking, but the commentary continues - and then it ends at the perfect moment and she transfers audio to what the interviewee is saying
    h) put the whole thing back out to VHS

The trouble with kids these days is a) they don't know what they can't do, and b) they'll try anything. A lesson for all of us, I guess...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Good for her! You gonna post the video here at some point?
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Sounds fantastic!

No need to be embarassed about Media Studies thing, I did that and it's how I got interested in video editing and desktop publishing. DTP led to me doing a stupid college magazine which got sillier and siller until it was eventually banned. Feh. Anyway, the articles from that got converted into HTML, and was uploaded onto this new exciting technology (at the time) called the World Wide Web. OOoooh

Oh, and this is my 100th post on this board. Hoorah!

And I really wish I could spell.

LJR: yeah - if I can get her to drop it back off the VHS tape into a form I can post... It's far from faultless, but I'm just amazed she's done as much as she has in such a short time. Mike: hmmm - I guess I'm just old fashioned. Now in MY day there weren't any media to study... Now if I could just stop her studying for her A-levels (she's applying to Oxford to read law...) and show her old dad some of the tricks she's learned...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Blog Entries

Oh, and this is my 100th post on this board. Hoorah!
    I'll send the badge in the post.

they don't know what they can't do
    If they don't know what they can't do, does that mean they know what they can do, or do they don't know that what they are trying to do is impossible which means they couldn't do it.

Ignorence, my friend, is no excuse for breaking the law.

Marc: yes - er - I think.... I used to do sales training, and something that stuck in my mind was the following stages in the development of learning:

1. We don't know what we don't know
    2. We know what we don't know
    3. We know what we know
    3. We don't know what we know

It's basically management speak for the idea that, in the end, we do things by rote but forget why or how we do them. That's fine until we stop being able to do it automatically, or it doesn't work any more - which is when you're at stage 4. Then you have to go back and re-learn.

Or something.

Blog Entries

That's kinda like forgetting how to walk after a long night:

We don't know what we can't drink
    We know we shouldn't have drunk that much
    We know we're drunk
    We don't know how to walk

Excellent. A man after my own heart. In a manner of speaking, of course... (We have about the best house in the village: it's as close to the pub as you can get without hearing the band on a Friday/Saturday night... )

I'm hoping to get this back off VHS and onto my PC this evening so I can share it with you, but there's an important stumbling block. Not having my own web site (which, these days, seems somewhat akin to owning up to not having your own TV or your own car) I can't host it except by virtue of Mr. Peters' generosity - in which case, how do I make the resulting file less than 5MB, given that I'll be starting with about 5 minutes of .avi? Or am I asking the impossible?

Blog Entries

How big long is the video? If you ask me VERY nicely, I'll give you access to a special server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast