Thread: Lightening effect.

Default Lightening effect.

Hello good people. I’m currently in post-production editing for a trailer we’ve filmed – hoping to use the trailer to raise finance to make the feature – and need some help/advice for an effect.

One of our leads is a security guard with a fetish for 'Soldier of Fortune.’ In the trailer we see him open a package that contains a tazer. The prop – made of wood – obviously doesn’t have that arc of lightening when operated, and that’s what I need to add to my footage.

Long story short, I have FX Home (and Elements 3.0) which will let me add laser beams, particle effects etc, but no lightening. Is there a cheap SFX package that someone could recommend, or is there a willing soul out there that I could mail the raw footage to and they add the lightening arcs across the tazer probes for me?

Thanks in advance.

For the record. "lightening" is the process by which you lighten something. You mean lightning don't you?

Having said that...

You sure Elements 3 doesn't have it? I don't know 'FX Home' but if you were to download the demo version of After Effects you can do it with ease.

Alternatively, if you really want someone to do it for you then let us know exactly what you need. And I mean exactly i.e. colour of lightning and length and amount of forking required. From where to where on screen etc etc.

I can do this for you but the trouble is that it's not likely you'll be able to give enough info in one go. It will likely be an evolving process i.e. i build something you say what you like and don't like. I have another go and we repeat until it's what you really want. It's actually a time consuming process and that's the problem. Time is money!!!!

last question. is this a single bolt of lightning you need or more a case of sparks and electricity enveloping the body of the victim (like the Predator when his invisibility cloak starts to fail!) The latter is much harder. Well, ok, not so much harder just a lot more work.

To repeat what Alan asked, are you 100% certain APE3 doesn't have a lightning effect built into the video effects folder?

Just been through the vidoe effects folders on Elements 3.0, there is nothign remotely like SFX type effects.

To answer Alan, what im after is a small static discharge type of lightning, point to point, arcing. As is a stun tazer was being operated.

Adobe Premiere Elements 7 * Render

Latest version of Elements does come wiht lightning. Look under 'render' in video effects.

Premiere Elements 3 has the lightning effect also
    Same place as in version 7, 'Render Effects'

At the top of the Effect Panel in the box provided just start typing 'Lightning' and it will find the effect for you
    Last edited by Chuck Engels; 12-08-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Engels View Post
    Premiere Elements 3 has the lightning effect also
    Same place as in version 7, 'Render Effects'

At the top of the Effect Panel in the box provided just start typing 'Lightning' and it will find the effect for you
    I was assuming the search feature was nto avaialble in Elements. I'm rather concerned now that our friend hadn't found the effect on his own.

Alan, Someday when you have nothing to do
    download the Elements trial, you will be surprised as to how much it is like Premiere Pro.
    Elements even has a few things that Pro doesn't, and vice versa of course.
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Alan, Chuck, thanks very much for your assistance. I did indeed find it under the Render application.

Sometimes my eyes are painted on. I was scanning the various images of a duck in the vidio effects tabs and none seemed to show the duck being struck by lightning. Also poor crispy duck.

Anyway, I search with the feature in future and hopefully cut down on the obvious questions. And the effect we very easy to use. Which was nice.