Thread: New here. Competition shooting video

Default New here. Competition shooting video

click image to play Flash Video

I do a lot of first person headcam video. I'm a competition shooter and work in the firearm industry.

Cam used is a Vio POV.1 for 1st person. Sanyo Xacti for 3rd person, ulead video studio 11 for editing.

Blog Entries

Have you actually looked at the other videos on this site? Have you read what this forum is for?
    This film has little of any interest for most people (including most shooters, I'd suspect). There's no clear reason for the film - it's just a poorly shot record with no real editing which goes on far too long. It's really no more than a first person shoot-em-up video game vid, but with a real first person.

You really need to address a fundamental question before you can make decisions on editing something together - Who is your audience?

I wouldn't have minded seeing something of a more documentary nature about the sport which may include a few of the headcam clips, but would basically be much more structured and informative. You might also include some personal reasons for taking up the sport. (Perhaps this might explain to me why grown men who want to go around pretending to kill people are given access to guns and ammunition)

I suspect (though I don't know) that fellow shooters would rather see wider and steadier shots of what you're doing - making it clear where you're firing, when you've hit targets etc.

I'd post a more critical assessment, but you look too handy with that gun.
    Tim

Blog Entries

It held my attention for a very short time principally for the reasons Tim mentioned above. What you have is a long (and for the vast majority of potential viewers) dull video.

Now, saying that - possibly your 'target' (get it?) audience wants to see this and can marvel at your ability. But for wider appeal, try to make something that will let the rest of us into the sport. I for one would be interested in that....

Good points. It is very interesting to hear what non competitive shooters or firearm enthuists think when the see my videos. I guess a shooter would be interested in the equipment, and a competitive shooter would be interested in the technique and target engagement. The non shooter really doesn't get anything out of it.

This kind of inspires me to make something to introduce non shooters to our sport so they can understand what and why we do what we do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yar1182 View Post
    ...This kind of inspires me to make something to introduce non shooters to our sport so they can understand what and why we do what we do.
    Great. Make sure you post that one up when it's done...

Blog Entries

Before I'd scrolled down to Andy's reply, I was going to quote exactly the same line and make the same comment!.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yar1182 View Post
    This kind of inspires me to make something to introduce non shooters to our sport so they can understand what and why we do what we do.
    Bullet cams are great for in your face action, but they really need to be used in addition to your 'normal footage'. Like any other 'effect', they easily become over-used. From the perspective of someone that's not really inclined to shoot anything (other than video), here was my stab at filming some paintballing two or three years ago:

It ain't perfect, but it may give you ideas on hwo to incorporate the headcam footage into something a bit more entertaining to us non-shooters.