Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed new net casting facility.

Blog Entries

Default Proposed new net casting facility.

This idea springs from this thread http://www.videoforums.co.uk/forum-a...-bans-ips.html .

After a lively discussion about censorship ( ! ), Marc, site owner and admin threw me a googlie.

As some of you may be aware the site has degree of you tube like functionality that is currently underused - this is a proposal and an oppertunity for discussion for a new type of net casting facility.

This is my vision.... Imagine wikipedia for film makers. A place where there was no censorship ( discuss) and that is moderated in some way ( discuss) by its users to keep it dross ( discuss ) free.

I imagine a site that seeks to promote the work of ' real ' film makers where challenging / edgy / shocking vids can find a safe home away from the censorious you tube. ( and ' safe ' stuff too )

A film broadcasting site run by film makers for film makers. It seems to me that this would entirely symbiotic with the disussion forums we have here.

I appreciate this is a huge undertaking but the nuts and bolts at the technical level are in place but clearly will need much tweaking.

I hope others can share thier thoughts and thier skills if we all go for it.

SO, what do people think?

Blog Entries

Personally, I think it's an excellent idea. Apart from one thing. In this litigious world we live in, and seeing YouTube's nervousness of chucking off anything even remotely copyright related, there would certainly be issues to address in that area. Other than that... top banana idea.

Blog Entries

Yea - I have a legal friend I need to talk to about that.

I would hope for a site where creative use of copyright material will not be frowned upon and certainly not result in removal of matierial. I appreciate this is a very vexing matter and I suspect it may be one of the major hurdles.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Personally, I think it's an excellent idea. Apart from one thing. In this litigious world we live in, and seeing YouTube's nervousness of chucking off anything even remotely copyright related, there would certainly be issues to address in that area. Other than that... top banana idea.
    Do what YouTube does: Put up a disclaimer, warning not to post any material that people don't have rights to use, or that infringes on copyright. Further state that such will be subject to removal. That way, you have legal CYA (cover your ass) protection under the law. If and when someone complains about something, then remove it if the complaint is valid. Otherwise, no problem.

Also, since this is not a commercial site, nobody can legally accuse the site owners of profiting off of someone else's intellectual property (important consideration under the fair-use doctrine).

Remember these great words of wisdom: "It is always easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Do what YouTube does: Put up a disclaimer, warning not to post any material that people don't have rights to use, or that infringes on copyright. Further state that such will be subject to removal. That way, you have legal CYA (cover your ass) protection under the law. If and when someone complains about something, then remove it if the complaint is valid. Otherwise, no problem.

Also, since this is not a commercial site, nobody can legally accuse the site owners of profiting off of someone else's intellectual property (important consideration under the fair-use doctrine).

Remember these great words of wisdom: "It is always easier to get forgiveness than permission."
    Possibly this might work - but solid legal advice is a must. The non commercial aspect could be questionable if even one advert appears that generates any revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Possibly this might work - but solid legal advice is a must. The non commercial aspect could be questionable if even one advert appears that generates any revenue.
    You are absolutely correct on that point!

Blog Entries

If anyone looks at this who is the IOV or similar - perhpas it would be usefull to talk to them about the rights stuff.

When i am feeling adult I will pen a letter to the bpi. Off the top of my head - will explain the nature of the project and it's aspirations, non profit, forstering new talent, yadda yadda. I am hoping some sort of blanket agreement may be possible - like the iov have.

Does that sound sensible ??? Will post up a draft.
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-04-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    If anyone looks at this who is the IOV or similar - perhpas it would be usefull to talk to them about the rights stuff.

When i am feeling adult I will pen a letter to the bpi. Off the top of my head - will explain the nature of the project and it's aspirations, non profit, forstering new talent, yadda yadda. I am hoping some sort of blanket agreement may be possible - like the iov have.

Does that sound sensible ??? Will post up a draft.
    Stupid Question from a Yank: What is the "IOV" and "bpi"?

You may want to review this about the "evil" youtube. It makes for interesting reading regarding the problems that running a video site can create:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/ma...?_r=1&emc=eta1

Blog Entries

I don't think YouTube is evil, and I fully understand the position they're put in by alot of the videos posted up. To my mind, YouTube's man failing is that it's chock full of total dross.

Without doubt the aspiration of a decent You Tube alternative promoting free speech, quality content and at the same time a main aim of relaxed censorship is one that's a mighty tall mountain to climb.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast